Installed R2, want to migrate FRS to DFS, Help Not found?!?!?!?!
Scott Townsend
2006-02-09 23:46:49 UTC
We've installed Win2003 R2 and want to upgrade to the new DFS from the old
FRS.

The DFS Managment tool tells us that we are using FRS for Replication and we
should Migrate to DFS and to Click the link for help on the process.

You click the link and its a page not found Error.

You can get the dfs2.chm file and see it, though there does not seem to be
anything in there about migrating from FRS to DFS...

Any tips?

Thanks,
Scott<-
Meier Rudolf
2006-02-10 22:19:03 UTC
Hi
Post by Scott Townsend
We've installed Win2003 R2 and want to upgrade to the new DFS from the old
FRS.
The DFS Managment tool tells us that we are using FRS for Replication and
we should Migrate to DFS and to Click the link for help on the process.
You click the link and its a page not found Error.
You can get the dfs2.chm file and see it, though there does not seem to be
anything in there about migrating from FRS to DFS...
Any tips?
Well, I could tell you how I did it... I don't know if it's the best way...
but it worked for me.
Before you start, verify, that the folder you want to move is replicated
completely (or -> you can also "clean it up" at the end of the
migration... -> check the "PreExisting" folders at the end... all
information you need you can see in the eventlog at the end of the first
replication). I recommend, that you don't migrate a folder that's in use
(for writing... reading would be no problem) because then you don't have to
clean up at the end... you won't loose data anyway... but it could be some
work to do. ... I did all this over night, so I had no problems...

1) disable FRS replication for this folder

2) create a new DFS-R replication or add this folder to an existing
replication

3) wait until you get the information, that everything is replicated
completely (it will check the whole data for consitency, but it's very
fast... it took less than 8 hours for 150 GB on my server)

4) ... that's it... but the system still shows you, that this folder isn't
published... well, I think it's only a little "problem" if you can even say
this is a problem... but I wanted a clear system, so at the end I deleted
the old DFS entries and re-published the folder... then I didn't had this
"problem" anymore

hope this helps
MR
Kurt Roggen
2006-02-10 23:26:29 UTC
Have a look at the following webcast by Shobana Balakrishnan, DFS
Replication program manager
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/webcasts.mspx

However the refered script (ReadFRS.vbs) is not yet published...
--
Kurt Roggen
http://blogontheweb.com/roggenk
Scott<-
C Kelley
Scott<-
Kurt Roggen
2006-02-12 08:56:24 UTC
Migrating File Replication Service Replica Sets to Distributed File System
Replication (Level 200)
from http://www.microsoft.com/events/webcasts/ondemand.mspx

Direct link: (indeed difficult to find)
http://www.microsoft.com/events/EventDetails.aspx?CMTYSvcSource=MSCOMMedia&Params=%7eCMTYDataSvcParams%5e%7earg+Name%3d%22ID%22+Value%3d%221032287371%22%2f%5e%7earg+Name%3d%22ProviderID%22+Value%3d%22A6B43178-497C-4225-BA42-DF595171F04C%22%2f%5e%7earg+Name%3d%22lang%22+Value%3d%22en%22%2f%5e%7earg+Name%3d%22cr%22+Value%3d%22US%22%2f%5e%7esParams%5e%7e%2fsParams%5e%7e%2fCMTYDataSvcParams%5e

PPT on http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=4342532
Scott<-
Shobana Balakrishnan
2006-02-15 21:26:41 UTC
We have the ReadFRS script available to MCS consultants and PSS. If you
have a large FRS deployment we recommend you follow the webcast and get the
help of PSS/MCS to automate migration. As soon as we have more testing we
will make the script available off of http://microsoft.com/dfs
Kurt Roggen