NTFRS_Pre_Existing
Chris
2005-11-01 10:10:05 UTC
One of our Servers went into Journal Wrap and in order to fix this error I
was forced into setting off a Non Authorative Restore.

This seemed to work and DFS once again came to life. After leaving this for
about a week I decided it was time to clean up the pre-existing files.

I moved all files that were missing from the main replica set back in and
then deleted the pre-existing.

This immediatly seem to cause the DFS to fail. I looked at the error logs
and was greeted with

Event ID 13506 File Replication has failed a consistency check.
Event ID 13555 File Replication is in an error state.
Event ID 13552 File Replication Service was unable to add computer to
replica set (sysvol)
Event ID 13504 File Replication Service has stopped without cleaning up.

I read through various different forums and the only answer seemed to be
another non authorative restore. I kicked this off and came into work today.
Everything was back up and the file replication between the 4 sites was once
again working as expected.

So I decided I would tidy up the preexsisting again. But not delete the
preexsisting folders. The System once again failed instantly. I am left
completely confused as to how moving the files out of the pre-exsisting could
cause this problem.

Is it because I moved folders out and then deleted the ones I didnt need?
Is it soemthing else I did?

I need to get this sorted as the problem has been dragging on for several
days now. I will run another non authorative restore tonight. But I am
unsure how I will pull the files I need from out of the pre-exsisitng without
causing further issues!!

Any help would very much be appreciated.
Paul Williams [MVP]
2005-11-02 07:40:58 UTC
I cannot answer your question directly I'm afraid. However I must ask why,
after a D4, you need to move files from the old replica set into the new
one? Why haven't they replicated from the upstream partner?
--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net
Chris
2005-11-02 12:11:05 UTC
Hi Paul

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I did a D2 Non-authorative restore.

This rebuilt the DFS on the server placing all files into the Pre-existing
folder and then pulling them out to rebuild the structure. However some
files are left in DFS. From the way I understand microsft these are the
files that are new that other replica sets no nothing about.

Now that the DFS structure is rebuilt I want to take files that I need from
the pre-existing folder and place them back into the proper structure.
Ideally when finished removing the Pre-Existing Folder. However last time I
did this it caused the newly rebuilt DFS structure on the server to fail.

So I now dont know if I can touch the pre-existing. And am loathe to do so
as I dont want to break the replication again.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-11-02 17:07:56 UTC
Do you see similar errors if you add new files to the replica tree from a
source other than pre-existing? Are you running close to the limits
described in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840675?
Chris
2005-11-03 09:09:05 UTC
No if I restore files from tape or users add new files there are no problems.
The system all seems to be working at moment but I dare not add or touch the
Pre_Exisitng in anyway just in case ot causes this issue again.

The total data size sits at 23 GB.

We have 4 Servers in the DFS with each holding a replica of the 10 Folders
we replicate.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-11-03 21:07:00 UTC
Chris, this is the first I've heard of this behavior. I can't think of a
reason why the files in preexisting would cause problems when moved back
into the replica tree. If you need to troubleshoot this, your best bet is
through MS Product Support.