R2's DFS
J Ford
2007-12-03 22:52:02 UTC
Question: My domain controllers aren't R2 (they're merely good ol' Windows
2003 SP1).

At what point does the domain's schema actually get written-to/modified. Is
it when the very first R2 member server, with the DFS component installed via
Add/Remove Programs (off R2 disc 2 as source) is installed?

Also, to get most benefit out of R2's newest features, DFSr, and so forth, I
will have to upgrade my existing file servers to R2, correct? (All our file
servers are likewise 'merely' Win2k3 SP1, and not R2).

Thanks.
Danny Sanders
2007-12-03 23:33:40 UTC
Post by J Ford
At what point does the domain's schema actually get written-to/modified.
Is
it when the very first R2 member server, with the DFS component installed via
Add/Remove Programs (off R2 disc 2 as source) is installed?
When you run adprep from the second CD of the R2 set on the existing schema
master for the domain. You need to do this before adding an R2 server to the
domain.
Post by J Ford
Also, to get most benefit out of R2's newest features, DFSr, and so forth, I
will have to upgrade my existing file servers to R2, correct? (All our file
servers are likewise 'merely' Win2k3 SP1, and not R2).
Actually to get the *most* out of the R2 features, Enterprise server should
be in the mix. Depending on how you are using it. For example, if you are
using DFSR for data collection the hub server should be Win 2k3 Enterprise
R2 to take advantage of Cross file RDC. In cross file RDC Windows will scan
a group of files and replicate a single part or section of data to replicate
several files instead of replicating every part of that group of files when
maybe only a fraction of the data *needs* to be replicated. The servers
replicating *to* the hub server in the above example can be Win 2k3 standard
server and they must have R2 installed.

I would suggest (depending on how/what R2 features you are using)
investigate if Win 2k3 Enterprise R2 might work better for you than Win 2k3
Standard R2.

hth
DDS

hth
DDS
Thanks.
Thorsten Kampe
2007-12-04 08:34:46 UTC
* Danny Sanders (Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:33:40 -0700)
Post by Danny Sanders
Post by J Ford
At what point does the domain's schema actually get
written-to/modified. Is it when the very first R2 member server,
with the DFS component installed via Add/Remove Programs (off R2
disc 2 as source) is installed?
When you run adprep from the second CD of the R2 set on the existing
schema master for the domain. You need to do this before adding an
R2 server to the domain.
That's a common misconception. You only need to do that if you want to
add a R2 server (who could already have joined the domain) as as
Domain Controller.

Thorsten
J Ford
2007-12-04 18:50:00 UTC
Thanks both. So, in other words, the schema only ever gets modified if you're
installing DFS 'on' a domain controller? Would appreciate clarification. I
plan on using domain-based namespaces only. I installed 2 R2 servers in my
test AD domain, then installed DFS on both of those, but didn't see any
prompt or notification suggesting schema would actually be modified on the
domain controller/s in the test domain.
Thorsten
Danny Sanders
2007-12-04 21:33:01 UTC
Post by J Ford
test AD domain, then installed DFS on both of those, but didn't see any
prompt or notification suggesting schema would actually be modified on the
domain controller/s in the test domain.
There won't be a prompt. You have to manually run adprep from the second
disk of the R2 set. If you don't do this the schema won't be updated. If
Thorsten is correct, if you try to install R2 on a DC before manually
running adprep you will just get an error that the schema needs to be
extended and the install will fail.

hth
DDS
Thorsten
J Ford
2007-12-04 23:26:00 UTC
Thanks... but I'm still (being a total DFS newbie and just having read a
couple of whitepapers thus far) trying to confirm whether the schema will
only require updating IF you choose to install DFS 'on' a given domain
controller. I don't plan on installing DFS service 'on' my Windows 2003 SP1
domain controllers, but rather only on file servers partaking in DFS
replication.

So the question remains --- for what I'm doing, by NOT installing either R2
or DFS 'anything' on my DCs, will the schema be touched or not?
Thorsten
Danny Sanders
2007-12-04 23:40:39 UTC
Post by J Ford
controller. I don't plan on installing DFS service 'on' my Windows 2003 SP1
domain controllers, but rather only on file servers partaking in DFS
replication.
I've only used it on our branch servers which are DCs and the schema had to
be updated.
Post by J Ford
So the question remains --- for what I'm doing, by NOT installing either R2
or DFS 'anything' on my DCs, will the schema be touched or not?
It's easy enough to test. Find a member server and run setup2 from the
second disk of the R2 set. It will either succeed (schema does not need to
be updated) or fail (schema does need to be updated). Either way the schema
won't be touched until/unless you manually run adprep. Test it for yourself.

hth
DDS
Thorsten
J Ford
2007-12-05 00:29:00 UTC
Thank you. Will do that on a member. Can you/anyone recommend some good,
detailed technical documentation on R2 DFS for a total DFS newbie? I've read
Microsoft's 'Overview of the DFS Solution in 2003 R2' whitepaper (19 verrrry
high-level, non-detailed pages), and the 'DFS Frequently Asked Questions'
found at the Microsoft R2 official web site, but that's equally lacking.
Thanks!
Thorsten
J Ford
2007-12-05 00:41:01 UTC
Actually, unless someone has better/preferred technical info to share on R2's
DFS, found the following on Microsoft Technet...

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/ed42abd5-24c7-4b5a-8165-dbd96727ec841033.mspx?mfr=true

(Found a 'Step-by-Step Guide for DFS therein, along with related info on
updating the schema, etc.). Any other related material to suggest for being
a happier, more productive, raise/bonus-earning admin? :)
Thorsten
Thorsten Kampe
2007-12-05 09:24:34 UTC
* J Ford (Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:50:00 -0800)
Post by J Ford
So, in other words, the schema only ever gets modified if you're
installing DFS 'on' a domain controller?
It has nothing to do with that: you have to do a schema upgrade if you
upgrade a DC to R2 or if you "upgrade" a R2 to DC[1]
Post by J Ford
I plan on using domain-based namespaces only.
That's already possible without R2 (although the terminology was
different with pre R2 DFS)
Post by J Ford
I installed 2 R2 servers in my test AD domain, then installed DFS on
both of those, but didn't see any prompt or notification suggesting
schema would actually be modified on the domain controller/s in the
test domain.
Are these R2 servers the only ones in the domain? Otherwise: see my
first comment.

Thorsten
[1] <http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/84445c1b-
a418-4a09-a50c-5f3258cfc5b51033.mspx?mfr=true>
J Ford
2007-12-05 20:25:00 UTC
Thanks. Between the comments in this post and the 'Step-by-Step Guide for
the DFS in Win2k3 R2" doc on Technet, it's clear that the schema must be
upgraded to deploy DFS replication in the namespace, using adprep.exe
/forestprep on R2's disc 2, on the AD controller with the schema operations
master fsmo role.

James