DFS Replication basics in 2003
indoctrin8ed
2007-05-15 21:46:17 UTC
I'm trying to set up file replication between two servers. One is a PDC (SBS
2003) and one is a BDC (Win 2003 Enterprise, NOT R2).

I add the DFS root, but I never see the context menus to set up replication.
I've tried right clikcing on everything and nothing mentiones replication.
Even after I add a link (which I don't need do I, if all I want to do is
replicate files), I still don't see a context menu to set up replication.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2007-05-16 16:18:05 UTC
Replication is typically enabled on link targets, and can only be done when
you have multiple targets. When you add a second link target, you're
prompted to enable replication. I would recommend taking a look at the Help
file for Distributed FIle System snap-in. This should walk you through the
process of setting up replication.

Thanks.
indoctrin8ed via WinServerKB.com
2007-05-16 22:14:43 UTC
I did just that, but no prompting.

My DFS console shows this:

--Distributed File System
----[] \\mydoman.local\sharename
--------[*] Link1 (This is a link to \\PDC1\Share)
--------[*] Link2 (This is a link to \\PDC2\Share)

Ideas?

In the mean time, I'll check the reference you mentioned again.

Thanks for your reply.
Post by indoctrin8ed
I'm trying to set up file replication between two servers. One is a PDC (SBS
[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
2007-05-17 00:03:58 UTC
I figured it out. It wasn't in the documentation.

It's not configured on Link Targets, it's configured on ROOT TARGETS.

The documentation is very unclear about this, and most articles on DFS
replication have moved on to the R2 stuff, making this stuff obsolete, or
apparantly so.

The steps are to do this (from a clean starting point)

1) Have \\PDC1\share \\PDC2\share set up
2) Right click on DFS root and select "New root"
3) Configure root to point to \\PDC1\share
4) Right click on root created in step3, and select "New Root Target", In
server name specify \\PDC2.
when this step is done, you'll see the 2nd ROOT Target listed in the
right pane

Now the "Configure replication" menus appear.
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Replication is typically enabled on link targets, and can only be done when
you have multiple targets. When you add a second link target, you're
[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Post by indoctrin8ed
Thanks.
2007-05-17 15:40:58 UTC
We typically recommend against replicating root targets in favor of
replicating link targets. Your previous example showed two links, not one
Post by indoctrin8ed via WinServerKB.com
Post by indoctrin8ed via WinServerKB.com
--Distributed File System
----[] \\mydoman.local\sharename
--------[*] Link1 (This is a link with link targets \\PDC1\Share and
\\PDC2\Share)
For details on why we recommend not replicating root targets, see our DFS
FAQ at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/dfsfaq.mspx.
The question is titled "If I use multiple root targets in a domain-based DFS
namespace, do I need to enable replication on the root?"

The Help topic in Distributed File System for enabling replication is called
"Initiate file replication" and you can get to the topic on line at
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/6ae88acb-cb70-4450-afe8-54110c68f9fd1033.mspx.
(Yes, this topic does mention root replication, but we've learned since this
was published then that root replication is not a best practice.) In R2 the
option for enabling root replication has been removed.

Hope this helps!

2007-05-18 18:45:14 UTC
Ok Great, this does help. I got it working with link targets. The design of
the UI is unintuitive because the first Link Target is already provided with
the link itself. The second one is added when you right click on the Link
itself; it doesn't intuitively indicate there already is a link built into
the link target.

Next question:

When I access the share via \\doman.local\share, the files are read only,
even though if I go directly into the share (either one), they aren't. Even
as a domain administrator, I cannot create or change files. The permissions
look fine.

Ideas?
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
[...]
[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]
Post by indoctrin8ed via WinServerKB.com
Post by indoctrin8ed via WinServerKB.com
Post by indoctrin8ed
Thanks.
2007-05-18 19:46:43 UTC
DFS is providing a referral to one of those shares hosting your namespace. A
namespace doesn't have separate permissions from what's set directly on the
file system or on the share. I would recommend double-checking the share
permissions for each of your root targets.

Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
[...]
Post by indoctrin8ed
Thanks.
DaveMills
2007-05-19 06:30:32 UTC
On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:46:43 -0700, "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]"
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
DFS is providing a referral to one of those shares hosting your namespace. A
namespace doesn't have separate permissions from what's set directly on the
file system or on the share. I would recommend double-checking the share
permissions for each of your root targets.
I have found (if memory serves) that where you create a folder in the DFS root
and then add links within that folder it is possible to have incorrect
permission on the DFS structure.

e.g DFSRoot/HomeFolders/AccounstHome where Accountshome is a link to the UNC
containing Accounts home folders and HomeFolders does not have links associated.
The permissions on the folder HomeFolder can affect the path to the eventual
target. I believe I had different permission on the two copies on the two DFS
servers. One allowed users to create files and the other did not.
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.