5000 folder limit in DFS R2
CK
2008-02-01 00:39:00 UTC
What happens if you go over the 5000 folder limit in DFS R2? I have some
directories with over 100,000 folders in them. Even if I break them up, it
will be difficult to get it down to 5,000 folders. Any suggestions?
Chris White
2008-02-01 10:28:00 UTC
Hi CK,

The 5000 Folder Limit is per Namespace.

The reason for this is the AD Blob size or object is at a recommended limit
of 5MB (5000 Folders). So each blob can't exceed this size.

The best option is to combine some of these directories into group folders,
so that you end up with less folders in the immediate namespace directories.
After all, DFS has the ability to hide the true location of files so you can
move them to where they are most comfortable for you.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, waiting for Windows 2008 Server is the next
step, which will be able to support more than 5000 folders (testing still in
progress i believe).
--
Chris White
United Kingdom
CK
2008-02-01 16:13:00 UTC
If I go over the 5000 folder limit, will my windows world as I know it come
to a crashing halt? What problems could I encounter by going over the 5000
folder limit?
Chris White
2008-02-02 16:10:00 UTC
Hi CK,

The problem is, making Active Directory too big. You can go over this 5,000
folder limit / 5MB but performance is significantly reduced and then takes
you into the realms of "told you so" when things go wrong or slow up
stupidly. Keeping AD light is important for performance, so its in your best
interests to reduce this 5k folder limit.

The work around is to do cascading DFS namespaces, where one DFS root
namespace leads down into a second root. This can solve problems by having
two-or-more roots supporting the same data.

Hope this helps buddy.
--
Chris White
United Kingdom
folder limit?
CK
2008-02-04 16:46:30 UTC
Sounds good. I'll look cascading DFS namespaces. Any recommendations or
advice in doing this?
Chris White
2008-02-05 08:45:01 UTC
Hi CK,

I have to admit, i'm not an expert to any degree and I'm still learning
about DFS. Not something you can do in five minutes i've found. More about
using it, getting results and learning the signs of problems to jump on them.

But I would say this task is relativly common sense. Just make it as
manageable as possible for you. Making sure it stays organised, and to keep
AD light, limit the comments on each DFS namespace and target etc.

DFSR and Windows 2k3 R2, makes things relatively light and visual now in
terms of arranging your namespaces. So to my thinking its time to grab a
spreadsheet or pen & paper, and design your namespace's efficiently.

Best of luck and hope it all works out for you.

Remember the five P's!

Perfect Planning Prevents Pathetic Performance.
--
Chris White
United Kingdom
advice in doing this?
CK
2008-02-06 22:13:01 UTC
Do have any good articles on Cascading a DFS namespace using interlinks. I
have searched but found very limited info on it.
Chris White
2008-02-13 20:14:01 UTC
I haven't, sorry CK.

Please post a link on here if you find any resources online for this.

Chris.
--
Chris White
United Kingdom