DFS Replication questions
d***@hotmail.com
2007-11-22 05:02:46 UTC
Im hoping some friendly person has the correct answer for me here :).

Scenario is as follows:

1. 300GB of data on SERVER01
2. Backed up this data and restored using NTBACKUP to the new server
SERVER02 (recreated shares and checked security perm's all exactlty
the same as SERVER01)
3. Data is 1 day old on SERVER02 and replication is currently taking
place between the 2 x servers. Has been running for 15hrs so far.
4. SERVER01 is primary. (authorative)

My question is.. even though I have the data now on SERVER02 will it
still take a long time to build the initial database up and check all
files?.

I tested a couple of users on the new DFS Name spaces today and
everything was all sweet until they mentioned their document was 1 day
old.

Question is.. how do I tell when replication may be finished?. When
would be a good time to get all users over to the new DFS system?. How
long roughly should it take for it to sort itself out on a 100mb link
remembering there is 300GB of data?. How will I know when everythings
all sweet? without going through 100's and 1,000's of folders??.
Finally are there any good graphical tools to see what DFS is doing in
the background? What files it is replicating.. etc .

Hope I havent asked too many questions :)

Thanks in advance for your help
Daz
Anthony
2007-11-22 05:56:27 UTC
Daz,
Are you talking about FRS replication, or the new DFS Replication in R2?
Anthony, http://www.airdesk.com
Daz
d***@hotmail.com
2007-11-22 06:23:48 UTC
Post by Anthony
Daz,
Are you talking about FRS replication, or the new DFS Replication in R2?
Anthony,http://www.airdesk.com
Hi Anthony,

Yeah I am talking about DFS Replication in R2. Both servers have R2
installed. :)

Thanks
Anthony
Thanks
d***@hotmail.com
2007-11-23 00:38:52 UTC
Appreciate all your help Anthony :). That article looks great!. I will
go through it this afternoon. I have this coming weekend to try get
this stuff replicating as it should. It worrys me abit when you dont
really know what this DFSR is doing in the background. As the data is
2 days old I would hate for the non-primary to overwrite any data on
the primary. All people are still working off SERVER01 shares atm, so
there is no new data on SERVER02. I wont change to dfs until im 100%
certain everything has finished replicating.

Will keep you updated as to what I do :)

Thanks
Daz
Anthony