DFS Monitoring
Stu Jackson
2006-02-16 21:17:27 UTC
With the release of R2 we have decided to again revisit DFS. I have
installed DFS and have a simple file replication group setup and have tested
it. My only concern is that I can't find an easy way to monitor the progress
of the replciation. I downloaded UltraSound but I can't get it to see any
replication processes other than the SysVol replication. Is there a way to
get UltraSound to monitor my new replication group or is there another tool
to do this?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-02-16 23:07:20 UTC
DFS Replication in R2 provides a diagnostic report for monitoring
replication health. Give it a try! Here's how: In the console tree, under
the Replication node, right-click the replication group that you want to
create a diagnostic report for, and then click Create Diagnostic Report.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
to do this?
Stu Jackson
2006-02-17 14:22:34 UTC
I saw the Diagnostic Report and have been using that, but I was hoping for
something with a real-time type monitoring tool. Our solutions for data
replication in the past have been less that stellar and like to have problems
quite often and has lead our group to be somewhat skeptical of any
replication solutions. That's why I wanted to have something like Ultrasound
to monitor the replication.
to do this?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-02-20 18:19:39 UTC
I should mention that there are WMI providers for DFS Replication, which can
be used for monitoring if you're able to script this. I believe that
Dfsrdiag (a command-line tool) will also provide backlog information.

to do this?
CH
2006-02-18 09:21:27 UTC
Try Sonar.exe (in ResKit Tools), assuming it works with R2 (?). I use it
with W2K3 SP1 & find it gives good info in real-time, incl no. of backed-up
files, excessive change counts, paused staging, link status, etc. You can
view info on any replicated DFS or SYSVOL link, 1 at a time.
to do this?
Stu Jackson
to do this?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

to do this?
Stu Jackson
to do this?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-02-20 18:15:13 UTC
We will be releasing a MOM Pack soon for DFS Replication, which is
appropriate for large deployments. Our built-in diagnostic reporting is the
other alternative. I know that Sonar and Ultrasound are both popular tools
and that customers would like to see these updated for DFS Replication.
However, at this time I'm not aware of any plans to do this.