DFS Snap-in crash
Speedmonkay
2006-09-05 16:36:02 UTC
I have 2 new servers running Windows Server 2003 R2. Both run DFS. Normally
they just replicate files between the 2 servers and runs fairly well except
for the occassional user not able to access the domainbased namespace. But I
created a Folder with folder targets on 2 NAS' and when I try to enable
replication between them, the DFS Management snap-in crashes with an error

MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.

It also has another window that pops up after than and says

FX:{f78fbadd-c21a-4e0a-b53d-c879a9c8f002}

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Exception type:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException

Exception stack trace:

Server stack trace:
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.MmcThreadMessageWindow.OnThreadException(Exception e)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg,
IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Interop.NativeMethods.DispatchMessage(WindowsMessage& msg)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Interop.ModalLoop.Run(Boolean filterInput)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.WaitCursor.Run()
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ConsoleDialogHost.ShowDialog(WaitCursor
waitCursor, ShowDialogCallback callback)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ConsoleDialogHost.ShowDialog(Form
form, WaitCursor waitCursor)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.Console.ShowDialog(Form form,
WaitCursor waitCursor)
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.ProgressDialog.Start(NamespaceSnapInBase snapIn)
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.ReplicaSetWizard.GetLinkTargetInformation()
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.ReplicaSetWizard.PreLoadDfsLinkChecks()
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.ReplicaSetWizard.PassPreLoadChecks()
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.ReplicaSetWizard.OkayToLoadWizard()
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.BaseWizardForm.StartWizardImpl(Boolean showModal)
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.BaseWizardForm.StartWizardModal()
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.FolderScopeNode.OnCreateReplicationGroup(SyncStatus requestStatus)
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.FolderScopeNode.AskAboutReplicationIfNeeded()
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.FolderScopeNode.OnAddLinkTarget(SyncStatus requestStatus)
at
Microsoft.RemoteFileSystems.Management.SnapIn.FolderScopeNode.OnSyncAction(SyncAction action, SyncStatus status)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.ScopeNode.DoAction(Int32 actionId,
IRequestStatus requestStatus)
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.NodeSyncManager.ProcessRequest(NodeRequestInfo
info, IRequestStatus requestStatus)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.NamespaceSnapInBase.ProcessRequest(Request
request)
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.NamespaceExtension.ProcessRequest(Request request)
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr
md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext,
Object[]& outArgs)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle
md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext,
Object[]& outArgs)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage
reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&
msgData, Int32 type)
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request
request)
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest()
at
Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)

I have also tried, enabling replication between a share on the server and a
share on the NAS. It still crashed the snap in and gives me the same error.

Any clue on why it might be crashing the snap-in like this ?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-06 13:52:23 UTC
Fwwooo...

1. Save the two attached files from this posting (dfsmgmt.dll.config and
mmc.exe.config).
2. On that machine, rename the existing copies of these files if they exist.
3. Copy down both of these files into %windir%\system32
4. Modify the mmc.exe.config file in notepad to point to the correct windows
directory
5. Restart the DFSMGMT.MSC snapin if it was loaded
6. Generate the error.
7. Attach the mmcTrace.log and dfsmgmt.current.log here.
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
Ned Pyle [MSFT]

Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-06 23:36:17 UTC
Chatting with a Dev about this - can I get a little more info about your NAS
setup? What Make, Model, Versions, etc. We can see the issue in the debug
tracing, just trying to figure out a bit more about what's going on in this
exact scenario.

Do you have any issues with the same DFSMGMT.MSC creating a set replicated
folder targets with non-NAS machines?

Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-07 00:20:44 UTC
Based on what we're seeing here, we're going to need to see a LOT more data
from you - getting outside the scope of what I can in a newsgroup. Can you
open a case with PSS? If you do so and it ends up being a bug, there will be
no charge. If it ends up being a config issue... well, at least you'll be
fixed. :-)

When you open the cacse tell your engineer to assign a subcase to "nedpyle"
in tier3 so I can keep things going with Dev.

Thanks!

Speedmonkay
2006-09-07 15:11:26 UTC
Post by Ned Pyle [MSFT]
Based on what we're seeing here, we're going to need to see a LOT more
data from you - getting outside the scope of what I can in a newsgroup.
Can you open a case with PSS? If you do so and it ends up being a bug,
there will be no charge. If it ends up being a config issue... well, at
least you'll be fixed. :-)
I would love to open a case. And if it turned out to be a bug and there was
no charge that would be great. The problem is if it turns out to be a config
issue - I am not authorized for the expenditures.
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-07 15:35:27 UTC
If you open the case through email-only support, it will only be $99 -

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=5827&gprid=36987

Is your Hotmail address here valid? I'll chat with you offline on this a
bit.

Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-07 15:58:38 UTC
Lordy - I need sleep. :-)

I was looking at the Buffalo website and it appears that these are
linux-powered devices. They will not have the DFSR service installed and are
not eligible DFSR replication targets. That being said, we should throw a
more graceful error. Email me at ***@microsoft.com and we'll chat
further (remove the .REMOVE)

Speedmonkay
2006-09-07 14:17:20 UTC
The 2 NAS are both Buffalo Terastation Pro 1TB units.

I have no issues with creating replica sets between my Windows Server 2003
R2 machines. The error only occurs when I try to make a replica set with a
server and a NAS or between both NAS.