DFS replication - Replicate only from one master server
eric hela
2006-02-12 21:26:03 UTC
Guys,

Can anyone help with this problem?

I want to replicate files from one server(main office server) only to all
other smaller sites and I do not want other sites to update from any other
sites and I do not want any other sites to update the master server. I
don't seem to find an option to do that. Is it possible anyone and is it
not by design.

Thank you in advance.

Eric
eric hela

Eric
Kurt Roggen
2006-02-13 19:15:04 UTC
You need R2 to use DFS-R(eplication) and RDC
--
Kurt Roggen
http://blogontheweb.com/roggenk
Eric
CH
2006-02-13 11:22:27 UTC
Yes it's possible & straightforward.

When adding the remote sites as DFS link targets, you setup whether & how
you want replication to occur. In this case you do, and you want a "hub &
spoke" topology rather than "ring". Select the master server as the hub, and
(importantly) take care to select the "connections" that you want to
replication to use. In your case, only enable the Master => remote1, Master
=> remote2, etc links, disabling the reverse connections.

That way, all sites get their content from the Master only.
Eric
eric hela
2006-02-14 00:54:20 UTC
Thanks for the response. I could not locate the options you mentioned.
Someone setup the root dfs shares and I was only modify by adding couple of
other sites. Could the person specified ring topology at the initial setup?

thanks
Rgds
eric hela
2006-02-14 21:37:35 UTC
Thanks guys.

I've finally found a solution. I went thru the AD users and
computers\System\File Replication Service\DFS Volumes\Root Share and deleted
at replication Partners I wanted them to become slaves.

However, I am still not able to workout why I can't get the option CH
mentioned above

Thanks once again guys.
Rgds
CH
2006-02-15 09:18:27 UTC
I assume you have one or more existing DFS links with multiple targets, setup
for replication.

On a hub & spoke config, you right-click a link & select Properties >
Replication. Click on the Configure at the top - this takes you to a page
showing the replication connections. Use the check boxes to enable/disable
any conns you don't want repilication to occur over. You want 1-way from the
master server only.

I haven't ever used Ring topology - maybe it doesn't have these options, in
which case you will need to stop replication & remake it as H+S. Before
doing this, consider how much data you are replicating as doing the above
will force re-rep of the full qty of link data. You could consider
pre-staging first, or create a new (temporary) link with alternative target
folder(s) as an empty replica set, config as H+S and then progressively copy
the data in. When all-done you can either use the new link name or "rename"
it (I will post link to article on this when I find it).