R2 DFRS - what a difference R2 makes!
2006-03-18 17:21:34 UTC
Wow.

Try to implement DFS last year in our school for our curricum resources
drive. Contains 30,000+ files and about 20GB of disk space. Very little
changes say perhaps 2% daily tops but we did have 300-400 users trying to
connect to the DFS share at a time.

I had loads of probs. USN journal wraps. Files stuck in staging. A real
nightmare so we drop DFS like a hot brick.

Got hold of R2 on it's release and installed it onto two file servers. One
had a copy of our resources drive about 50,000+ files and nearly 30GB in
size now.And the other just an empty folder. I let the DFS replication take
care of everything one Friday evening before we left for the weekend.

Monday morning all fully synched and has run like a dream for the last two
weeks. Not a single issue to deal with. Just look the file screen and file
reports too. Very useful in a school! Also very cheap at £140 per licence
for 2003 Enterprise R2. Thanks Microsoft

Now we have all our 1750 students folders on a single Power Edge 2600 server
(dual xeon, RAID 5) configured as a member server acting as a file server
only. I have ordered a Power Edge 2800 Dual 3GH| Xeon 300GB SCSI raid 5
array and 4GB ram.

I want to mirror our user areas on both servers for redundancy so we can
provide 100% uptime on the user areas. Each of the servers will be in a
different school building interconnected with 1/2 mile of fibre running at
giga bit. We have Cisco Catalyst switches at each end.

We were going to use robocopy from the resource kit to synch the two servers
each evening so that in the event of a server failure our students would
loose at max one days work. Our aim is 100% uptime.

Now with the new DFRS proving so solid I am wondering just how well it would
cope it with all our userdata. We only have a couple hundred gigabytes at
present spread between 1750 users. Mostly office files we do have the odd
compressed archive. We do have one student who has a 10GB archive in his
user area (and he is due a bollocking for this) but we only have a handful
of files over 50MB in size.

We reckon 25% of our data changes each day. If we say 35% for scalability is
this practical with DFRS?

I was thinking of starting our with say a third of a year group which would
be 100 students and just seeing how well it worked. We could then scale that
up to cover the whole user base if things went well and the replies here
were positive.

I have implemented DPM2006 for our main file server. Would DPM provide
support for a DFRS based solution?

Thanks,

Andy.
Jabez Gan [MVP]
2006-03-19 05:47:00 UTC
With R2's DFS, only the bit and bytes that got changed will be replicated
across servers, which means it will not replicate the whole file when just
the bits/bytes got changed.

Furthermore R2's DFS has WAN in mind, so replicating across WAN isn't an
issue.

You can use DPM and DFSR together. Both are very WAN efficient because only
changes are sent over the WAN. The way to think about this is that DPM is
all about recovery of data and DFSR is about distribution and availability.
DFSR is a great if you want to publish data from a central site or keep data
in-sync between branches and a datacenter. DPM is focused on data recovery.
--
Jabez Gan [MVP]
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server
Andy.
Dave Mills
2006-03-19 10:28:29 UTC
[...]
You might want to take a look a R2s disk quota tools too.
Post by
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
2006-03-19 18:21:26 UTC
Post by Dave Mills
[...]
Dave,

Yeah the quota tools were another reason for buying R2. We were looking at
Space Guard a couple of months ago but we figured we would just wait till R2
came out. It does use a lot of system resources to generate the reports
though. First time I ran the report generator to analyze what type of files
the users have been storing in their areas. I was expecting lots of office
files. What I got was nearly 50% music and video!! We knew the students did
have some music in their areas but not this much.

Can anyone offer a view as to how we would stand legally if the students
areas were audited and found to contain music which the school (and probably
the students) haven't bought? This is in the UK.

We do have a new fileserver to go live before Easter and then the quotas
will be in place as will more wide ranging file screens. We just rolled out
Software Restriction Policies which has stopped students running executables
from their USB pens and print accounting and auditing (PCounter). It's
already stopped a couple of students attempting to print hundreds of copies
of the same Word document and picked up on a number of staff who have been
using our printers (free) rather than photocopying (chargeable) to produce
student handouts.

So, I am hoping that I can save some money out of my £3,000 consumable
budget this year. Any money saved will be plowed back in to provide student
with A4 colour laser access so I am not beein mean for mean sake!!

I want to be loved I really do but as an admin I rarely am. Then when things
do go a little wrong (hey its IT) they like to have a little dig.

I never get a call saying "Hey, the computers are working really well thank
you". oh no. I would probably fall off my chair if I did.

Andy.
Dave Mills
2006-03-20 04:31:46 UTC
Well we are drifting of topic but I am interested in your experiences. I too am
a UK school Admin and just getting up with R2. Any chance of continuing offline
on your experiences with Software Restriction etc.

Remove change "news" to "dave" and remove "nospam" from my email address
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
2006-03-25 21:39:52 UTC
Post by Dave Mills
Well we are drifting of topic but I am interested in your experiences. I too am
a UK school Admin and just getting up with R2. Any chance of continuing offline
on your experiences with Software Restriction etc.
Remove change "news" to "dave" and remove "nospam" from my email address
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Dave,

I have been off school ill this past week and haven't put much computer time
in at all. So apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

If I can help in any way feel free to email me at ***@hotmail.com

Let's see how well the hotmail spam filter is going!

Thanks,

Andy.