Disable DFS Referral
UMH Tech
2008-09-26 18:30:08 UTC
We have a pair of 2k3 Standard SP2 boxes each with its own SAN for
storage. I have setup DFS with a few of the shares on the "master" box
(fs1) and added DFS namespace for it along with an extra root target for
the second server (fs2). I then enabled replication and let it go on
its merry way. There's about 1.5TB of data that needs to be replicated.

We then started getting calls from users saying they were getting
nothing but empty folders when attempting to access the UNC paths for
FS1. I realized that referrals were enabled and it was bouncing them to
FS2 which hadn't had its data replicated yet.

I looked up how to disable referrals but the options just don't exist
for me. If i right click on the namespace and go to properties I don't
get a referral tab. Just "General, Replication, Publish".

How can i disable referrals?

Thanks in advance!
John Angel [MSFT]
2008-09-26 23:31:01 UTC
Hello,

Please follow these steps:

1. Open Distributed File System.

2. In the console tree, click the DFS link that points to the target for
which you would like to change the referral status.

3. Click the desired target. On the Action menu, select Enable or Disable
Referral.

You can find more info at
Thanks in advance!
UMH Tech
2008-09-26 23:57:37 UTC
Ok i see what we did. We had two DFS roots configured and replicating,
no links. I don't believe you can disable referrals for a root target.

If someone could point me in the right direction. Here's the
scenario/requirements.

We have a single file server hooked to a ISCSI based san. There are
about ~25 shares on the server with varying visibility and security. We
have a need to make the file server fault tolerant. We have a second
server and SAN device. Both servers are Win2k3 SP2 Standard.

If i create a new namespace, say //corp.com/data/{list of shares here},
each of the shares being a new link under a single domain based DFS
root. Then configure replication and disable referrers on the links
until replication completes.

1. Will the users still be able to access //server1/shares during this
process?

2. If users continue to utilize the unc path of //server1/shares and
server1 fails (referrers are enabled at this point) will the client
machines automatically use //server2/shares?

Thanks in advance, we're a bit confused at this point.
Hello,
Thanks in advance!
DaveMills
2008-09-27 09:30:39 UTC
Post by UMH Tech
Ok i see what we did. We had two DFS roots configured and replicating,
no links. I don't believe you can disable referrals for a root target.
If someone could point me in the right direction. Here's the
scenario/requirements.
We have a single file server hooked to a ISCSI based san. There are
about ~25 shares on the server with varying visibility and security. We
have a need to make the file server fault tolerant. We have a second
server and SAN device. Both servers are Win2k3 SP2 Standard.
If i create a new namespace, say //corp.com/data/{list of shares here},
each of the shares being a new link under a single domain based DFS
root. Then configure replication and disable referrers on the links
until replication completes.
1. Will the users still be able to access //server1/shares during this
process?
Yes, they will be able access \\server1\shares for ever. This path does not use
the DFS namespace in any way
Post by UMH Tech
2. If users continue to utilize the unc path of //server1/shares and
server1 fails (referrers are enabled at this point) will the client
machines automatically use //server2/shares?
No, DFS does not charge UNC shares it simply points to them. The access path
must be via //corp.com/data for DFS referrals to be used.

DFS Replication (R2) does not use the DFS namespace. It does not even use shared
folders it uses the NTFS folder names.

If you are wanting to use replication then R2 (DFSR) is so much better than pre
R2 (FRS) it is very desirable.

What you need to do is create the DFS namespace with links pointing the server1
shares. Now change the drive mapping to //corp.com/data/{list of shares here} on
all the clients. When this is done add the second targets to server2.

If you want replication then set it up first but keep the links to server 2
disabled until replication completes. In the mean time while you continue to
change all the clients the replication engine can be working at getting fodders
synchronized.

I would suggest you create a DFS link to {list of shares} with each DFS link
pointing to ShareA$ instead of ShareA. While you change the clients the ones not
yet moved to DFS will be using ShareA and the ones moved to DFS will be using
\\corp.com\data\ShareA. Do not confused the DFS name with \\server1\ShareA which
is a different pathname that points to \\server1\ShareA$.

When all the clients are remapped you can remove Server1\ShareA (or change the
share permissions to admin only) and wait to see who shouts. It is simple to
permit access via \\server1\shareA again on a temporary basis. One need for this
is clients with Offline folders enabled. They will continue to try to sync with
\\server1\shareA un till told not to. The easy way to remove the offline folders
on a client is to open the old share \\server1\ShareA and untick make available
offline at the client. Then simply close the old share again and wait for the
next person to shout.
Post by UMH Tech
Thanks in advance, we're a bit confused at this point.
Hello,
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
UMH Tech
2008-09-29 14:05:16 UTC
Dave,

Thanks for the insight. I've started configuring as you've suggested.
One thing i've noticed is i just enabled a pair of links to a share that
all my users My Documents are directed to. This share is quite large
with a huge amount of folders/files equaling some 400GB. I enabled
replication but i haven't seen it begin to replicate anything yet. Does
replication take some time to start actually replicating (Perhaps
indexing the folder structure first)?

Thanks again!
Post by UMH Tech
Thanks in advance, we're a bit confused at this point.
Hello,
Thanks in advance!
DaveMills
2008-09-29 17:07:31 UTC
Post by UMH Tech
Dave,
Thanks for the insight. I've started configuring as you've suggested.
One thing i've noticed is i just enabled a pair of links to a share that
all my users My Documents are directed to. This share is quite large
with a huge amount of folders/files equaling some 400GB. I enabled
replication but i haven't seen it begin to replicate anything yet. Does
replication take some time to start actually replicating (Perhaps
indexing the folder structure first)?
Thanks again!
I usually waited for the next day. Sometime I could see the first few after an
hour or so but got bored looking. I just started it and went home. Mostly I
started with the smallest folder while building confidence.
Post by UMH Tech
Post by UMH Tech
Thanks in advance, we're a bit confused at this point.
Hello,