Folders Disappear
Dan
2006-09-13 14:05:02 UTC
I have DFS setup with 3 servers with full mesh topology. Users "My documents"
folder are then redirected to DFS namespace using a GPO. I've been having
prolems with the users documents disapperring from there home folder on
occastion. Could this be related to offline file synchronization enabled on
the clients end?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-15 23:21:55 UTC
Possibly... or some sort of conflict happening...

Have you checked the ConflictAndDeleted folders in your DFSRPRIVATE folder
for that replicated folder target? And are the files XLS, perchance? If so -
you have a hit a bug. Good news though, it's fixed and you can get a hotfix:

KB917622

You will need to call in for this one, but it's free so no worries.
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
the clients end?
JB5401
2006-09-21 17:46:02 UTC
Ned,
Who should I contact about getting the XLS hotfix? We have Excel files that
are randomly disappearing or are overwritten with previous versions. We are
replicating between 2 Win2003 R2 servers at different sites within the same
domain.

Thank you,
Jeremy Bernhardt
the clients end?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-21 19:45:30 UTC
Just call into Support Customer Care:

1-800-936-3500 (U.S. and Canada Only)

Ask specifically for that hotfix. Your case will be free, as long as the issue is resolved by that hotfix.

denim
the clients end?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]

denim
Ned Pyle [MSFT]

denim
2006-10-11 22:41:02 UTC
Hi,
I called Microsoft customer support today, but I couldn't get the hotfix.
She said she could't find anything like that in Microsoft website.
Is that possible for you to email me the hotfix?
Thank you.
Post by Ned Pyle [MSFT]
Yes we do. IA64 as well. :)
Ned Pyle [MSFT]

Steve
2006-09-19 15:36:02 UTC
I have the same thing happening. 2 servers, Full mesh topology, no error
messags in DFS Replication. I've had entire user folders disappear, and some
otheres completely emptied, but left the folder. We have Offline files
disabled on the client.
the clients end?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-19 15:41:17 UTC
K - so... they are not in the conflictanddeleted folder or referenced in the
conflictanddeletedmanifest.xml under the DFSRPRIVATE folder for that RF?

Same question... different customer. :-)

Steve
2006-09-19 15:48:02 UTC
I've done a little more digging and think my issue may be Group Policy
related. I had a folder redirection set up to "Redirect to the following
location" \\domain\DFSRoot\userfolders\%USERNAME%
The next time I checked, it had changed it to "Create a folder for each user
under the root path" \\domain\DFSRoot\userfolders"

Could this be why my user folders appear to be emptying? GP is creating new
folders that is overwriting the existing user folder?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-19 15:53:11 UTC
It's stripping the %username% because it's assumed implicitly (it will take
care of that bit for you).

That might explain weirdness where it *never* works - but not intermittent
data loss.

Steve
2006-09-19 16:03:03 UTC
does it matter that it changed from "Redirect" to "Create".
It's sporadic - there are only 3 files in the "ConflictAndDeleted" folder or
manifest and they were also noted in the eventvwr.
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-19 16:19:28 UTC
Not sure. I can always set up a repro here. Send me your exact settings for
FR (from all the various tabs in the GPO).

The deletion could have occured on any server also - did you check conflicts
on all of them (C&D info is not replicated)?

Steve
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-19 18:15:32 UTC
Yes - another engineer and I wrote a script to pull data out of C&D.
Attaching here, steps below. Make sure you note the caveats! You can also
always restore from backups. See my note at bottom about potential hotfix
depending on the file types...

'==========================================================================
'
'
' NAME: RestoreConflicted.VBS
'
' AUTHOR: James Carr, EPS, Microsoft Corporation
' AUTHOR: Ned Pyle, EPS, Microsoft Corporation
'
'
' COMMENT: Disaster Recovery script for pulling DFSR data out of
ConflictAndDeleted
' and putting it back into a usable directory tree, preserving
paths
' names, and security descriptor info.
'
' USAGE: Replace the 3 variables in the "operator edited" section below
' with valid paths. The Script will copy the contents of the
CandDFolder
' to a specified path, returning files to original names and adding
back
' their folder structure at the time of deletion.
'
' It is important to note that duplicate conflicts will not copy -
check
' the restoreconflicted.log to see which files need manual
intervention
' (this is done to prevent the accidental restore of an older
conflicted copy)
'
' Finally: this tool can only copy files that were preserved in
ConflictAndDeleted
' by quota (by default, 660MB). If the quota prevented all files
from being saved
' this script is not going to help for those that were trimmed out.
'
'
' This script is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
' For more information please visit
' http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
'
'==========================================================================

RestoreConflicted.VBS
(Attached)

This script can pull files out Conflicted to a temporary location,
recreating them with their old file names, directory structure, and ACL's.
The files can then be moved back into DFSR and replicated out.

To use this:

1. Save script to a machine which has data remaining in ConflictAndDeleted.
2. If possible, MOVE the data out of ConflictAndDeleted to a safe location
on the same disk (moving is fast, preserves ACL's, and prevents any further
touching of the saved data).
3. Modify the script's three variables as such:

objXMLDoc.load("C:\replicatedfolder\DfsrPrivate\ConflictAndDeletedManifest.xml")

(Change this path to match where that replicated folder's
conflictanddeletedmanifest.xml file lives.)

CandDFolder = ("C:\replicatedfolder\DfsrPrivate\ConflictAndDeleted\")

(Change this path to where the saved data lives; hopefully this is the
*copy* you made earlier)

OutputFolder = ("c:\dfsr_repair_tree")

(Change this path to where you want the data to be repaired and
reconstructed; it should not be in the RF).

4. Execute:

cscript restoreconflicted.vbs

This script will read the XML manifest, restoring the directory/file
structure to your output folder.
The files can then be moved back into the RF and replicated out.
The script creates a log in the working directory.

By design, it does NOT restore files which are duplicated (i.e. there were
multiple conflicts of the same file).
These are merely logged for operator manual intervention (this was done so
that older files are not restored by accident).

THIS IS A WORST CASE SCENARIO TOOL! IT IS COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED AND USE IS
AT YOUR OWN RISK!

======

Now, if the files are all XLS excel files, you are actually experiencing a
bug. It was fixed in (non-public, call in for a free case) hotfix: QFE
KB917622.

Steve
Ned Pyle [MSFT]

Dan
2006-09-29 16:49:01 UTC
Sorry for not reply posting earlier, haven’t checked in a couple of weeks.

I have a similar problem as Steve is having. I have Group Policy
‘redirecting’ users 'My Documents' to a network share -->
\\servername\home\%username%. The strange thing is its sporadic deletion. Up
to 6 or so users report no documents and there “My Documents’ folder is
completely empty on various occasions out of 35 users. The only way to fix
this is to restore from backup. Offline files IS turned on; I’ve check the
Best practices guide and it says it can be on; unless I misread this feature
conflicting with other synchronization features of DFS. I’ve now configured
the GPO to only 4 users for testing. It still happens next day after
implementing the policy, it persists for a couple of days then stops being an
issue. I don’t want to implant this company wide until I know there will be
no issues with this.