DFS and MS Office
EJ
2006-08-03 01:21:02 UTC
I have a really strange problem. We use DFS to get to all of our shared
folders from various locations to a common mapped drive. Traversing the share
using windows explorer in XP and 2000 works fine; instant access. When I try
to go to exactly the same place through office 2003 (word, excel, PowerPoint)
it takes about 2 minute to open the folder. If you use any other application
to traverse the folders it works fine or if you use office 2000 it works fine
as well. Once that folder open you can navigate without any further delays.
But if go back to say the My Documents folder and then close out of the
Office App and then reopen it and try to access the same folder on the DFS
share it will take about 2 minutes to do so. Also found this only happens if
the drive is mapped to the root replica \\domain\root . If you map a drive to
\\domain\root\site then there is no delay in opening the sub folders. I have
searched various help sites and it seems other are having the same problem
but I have not seen a solution for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-08-03 16:11:04 UTC
Here's one KB you could try:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839883/en-us

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
EJ
2006-08-03 17:04:02 UTC
Thanks Jill for the quick response, I did see that Q article in my prior
searches, so I downloaded the hotfix but when I ran it, I had the newer
version of the file. It turns out that the hot fix is for XP SP1 user. Thanks
again for any input on this.

EJ
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-03 21:35:11 UTC
Do you get the same issue if you disable the web client service on an XP
machine? Do you use open file backup agents on your file server (like
netbackup or veritas's OFA)?

Hmmm... I could swear I've seen something like this before and it turned out
to be some shenanigans within Office itself. I'll ask a friend over in
Office 3rd tier if they know what I'm trying to remember...
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-03 21:49:14 UTC
I knew I'd seen it before - the second my friend kicked back these two
registry entries I remembered the issue.

Besides disabling the web client (and only if that does not work), you can
set:

Registry Settings
User Key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

Value Name: NoRecentDocsHistory
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction) 1

So set it to 1 in both spots, restart, and see how things look. This could
be done with a logon and startup script obviously or a custom ADM in group
policy. It's an issue in how Office tracks file history...

EJ
EJ
2006-08-07 19:46:02 UTC
I tested the registry change and also made sure the Web Client service was
not turned on (it wasn't turned on) and it initially it looked like it worked
but on further testing it was producing the same slow open and save. Found
this Q Article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326364 and it is a fix for
Windows 98, tried it out and it seems to fix the slow open and save. Not sure
if this is a Band-Aid solution or if there is a real fix out there.
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-07 20:01:10 UTC
Interesting. No idea, that was for Office Xp and Win98 specifically.

The issue is within Office, so I can only regurgitate what I've been told by
Office folks. If you want a deeper explanation, full on hotfix, etc. you
will need to open a case with Office support. I'm kind of useless when it
gets nitty gritty into that app. :-)