Replicated Folders in muliplte Sites
Paul Stilgoe
2006-08-02 01:29:02 UTC
Hi,

I am currently building a new domain and i am looking at creating a DFS
which will have various folders that will be updated in all sites. I would
like the folders to be replicated at all sites.

I have 2003 R2 standard Server on all 3 servers.

My question is do i need to just configure the namespace on all 3 servers
and manually add the folders under this name space? Will this then do the
replication i am after?

or do i need to create shares on the servers and then link these as target
folders and set replication?

Thanks
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-02 19:42:12 UTC
When you are using R2 with DFSN and DFSR, the DFSMGM.MSC console will take
care of everything step by step. So you'd:

1. Create a new namespace (this will share out the root folder for you)
2. Add 'New Folder'(s) under that namespace - there you can choose existing
shares or have it create new ones for you.
3. Create replication between them all with DFSR.

It's pretty step by step. If the MSC and Help aren't helpful enough, I
always recommend:

DFS Management -
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/1622b066-3b17-4303-9b2c-a37b0657a0591033.mspx

You definitely do *not* want to simply create folders under your root and
replicate that - it's a good way to end up with morphed, useless data. If
you use the MSC and not windows explorer, you really can't go too wrong.
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
Martin Claesson (MSFT)
2006-08-02 21:07:24 UTC
Hi Paul!

You should create the shares, link them as targets and enable replication.
Replication never starts by itself, it has to be enabled.

Thanks,
Martin.
Thanks
Paul Stilgoe
2006-08-03 02:30:08 UTC
No problems, have added the namespace and added fodlers (created shares
though the dfs managment) and all looks okay.

i have noticed in the event log in DFS replication that i get this
error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DFSR
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5012
Date: 3/08/2006
Time: 12:25:31 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SYDDC01
The DFS Replication service failed to communicate with partner MELDC01
for replication group ims.local\shares\hr. The partner did not
recognize the connection or the replication group configuration.

Partner DNS Address: meldc01.IMS.local

Optional data if available:
Partner WINS Address: meldc01
Partner IP Address: 10.0.3.242

The service will retry the connection periodically.

Additional Information:
Error: 9026 (The connection is invalid)
Connection ID: 7D3379CC-9BE3-479E-A550-0888A6FD4B39
Replication Group ID: D217E55F-BBCE-4A81-ACE1-AD4B3B0BD5BE

Why does this come up?

Thanks
Thanks
Ned Pyle [MSFT]

Paul Stilgoe
Ned Pyle [MSFT]

Paul Stilgoe
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-08 12:25:38 UTC
It almost sounds like it's up with the network not being fully 'ready to
play'. Do you use Cisco switches with PortFast disabled (can it be enabled)?
Are your network drivers Gigabit, and if so, are they completely up to date?
Do you use network teaming software?

I'm just throwing things out here. If you want to get nitty gritty on this,
I'd recommend opening a case here in PSS so more exhaustive troubleshooting
can be done.

Paul Stilgoe

Ned Pyle [MSFT]