How robust is DFS
Timboi
2005-07-29 06:16:02 UTC
Hi,

We seem to be having all sorts of problems with DFS (replications not
working suddenly and things like that). I'm assuming that it's something
we're doing, but what is everyone elses' experience with DFS (it's a mixed
environment with Server 2000 and 2003)?
Is there anything obvious that might be causing it to appear so fragile (or
is it a case of 'there are quite a few things', etc).
It's not breaking every day, but often enough to cause obvious inconvenience.

Cheers,

Timboi
rchiu
2005-07-30 00:50:53 UTC
We've been using DFS/FRS in a pure 2003 SP1 environment for a mont
now and currently running into replication problems. First, FRS woul
generate errors in the event log and after rebuilding the shares, i
worked fine for a bit. It has since started giving us some grie
again. I believe the problem is we are trying to use FRS over a WA
(a slow one at that) between our head office and remote site. Th
number of dynamic files may just be too great for FRS to handle

I have since tore apart FRS for our shares and wrote a very simpl
script to robocopy the files from our remote site to our head office
Our main goal was to replicate this data so we can perform
centralized backup. The only downside is we no longer have faul
tolerant file shares but that's better than using FRS, which I foun
to be too unreliable
Bill Glidden
2005-08-01 01:08:54 UTC
Hi,
We, too, are not finding DFS over a WAN very satisfactory: it's slow and it
breaks. FRS was never designed for large numbers of changing files and DFS
works best on local LANs. Replication is file-by-file, not byte-by-byte.
There is also the problem of no file locking which is a problem if two users
have the same file open in different copies of the replication set.
We are now looking for a more robust and efficient solution to the scenario.
Anyone out there have any experience with any of these?

Cheers,
Bill
Timboi
Jason Gurtz
2005-08-01 18:51:21 UTC
Maybe <http://winrsync.sunsite.dk/> is the answer?

~Jason

Paul Williams [MVP]
2005-08-01 08:03:16 UTC
Guys - check out R2. There's a new tool called DFSR. This is a new
replication engine that you can use to replicate files. It replicates file
changes (not files). This is different to FRS (for which there are also
improvements). You can use this independently.
--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net
Bill
2005-08-02 04:13:36 UTC
Thanks, Paul.
I was aware of R2, but can't buy it yet and for me would require migration
from Server 2000 and associated pain. How does the new engine work with DFS
across sites?
Cheers,
Bill
Paul Williams [MVP]
2005-08-16 15:33:15 UTC
I'll get back to you with the answer to this, as I don't know much about it
yet -I plan on looking at this soon...
CB
2005-08-03 14:53:13 UTC
Finally!

By any chance will R2 be able to replicate file that are current open or in
use? Or will it be like FRS in that the file must be closed in order to
replicate?
Paul Williams [MVP]
2005-08-16 15:32:41 UTC
Don't know -- I'm trying to find a couple of hours to try this, but my test
boxes just went funny after installing SP1!

I'll get back to you soon...