Share your DFS Replication success stories!
2006-03-10 17:46:06 UTC
Are you seeing great bandwidth savings using DFS Replication? I'd love to
hear your stories here! We have a lot of newsgroup readers considering DFSR
and looking for "real world" data regarding bandwidth savings. We've had
great success using it in our own IT department, and we have some case
studies up on www.microsoft.com/dfs, but I'm also curious to hear how it's
performing for our newsgroup readers.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
DAVID A BERMINGHAM
2006-03-29 18:21:45 UTC
Jill,

I recently attended a MS partners only workshop on Windows Data Protection
Manager and Virtual Server 2005 R2. I was curious to know what kind of
throughput you can achieve with DFS when going across WAN links with varying
degrees of latency. Is there a published report? The presenter did not
have any numbers to share with us.
--
David Bermingham, MCSE, MCSA:Messaging
Senior Windows System Engineer
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-03-29 19:49:07 UTC
Hi David,

We have a Microsoft IT Showcase scorecard that describes bandwidth savings
experienced by our own IT group. The scorecard is at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/valuecard/msdfsvc.mspx.
However, throughput numbers will vary depending on the customer.

Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
and looking for "real world" data regarding bandwidth savings. We've had
great success using it in our own IT department, and we have some case
studies up on www.microsoft.com/dfs, but I'm also curious to hear how it's
performing for our newsgroup readers.
rights.
DAVID A BERMINGHAM
2006-03-30 18:05:16 UTC
I guess what I am looking for is some best practices for sizing aWAN
connection between sites if I want DFS-R to keep things relatively in sync.
In the example you provided, there were two sites, London and NY. I know
there is all sort of compression and differencing, so bandwidth is
conserved, but I am curious to know what best practices are for sizing the
WAN connection. Are there any performance counters to monitor which would
show how much data would actually be pushed across a connection if DFS-R is
used? In the example, what was the connection between London and NY... T1,
DS3 ? Thanks.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-03-30 18:39:29 UTC
Hi David,

I'm not aware of any published WAN-sizing guidance in relation to DFS
Replication.We do have guidance on configuring replication for optimal
performance located on our blog at
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx and in the Distributed File
System Design Guide at www.microsoft.com/dfs. The amount of bandwidth saved
varies according to the type of files replicated, the type of changes, the
size of the files, whether they are previously compressed, whether
cross-file RDC is used, etc.

If you're using DFS Replication, you can use the DFSR performance counters
to measure various aspects of replication. The health report (generated
using the DFS Management snap-in) will also show you the amount of data that
would've been replicated if DFSR were not used vs. the amount of data
actually replicated--but this assumes you've got DFSR deployed already. I
don't know of any counters that could calculate potential DFSR savings in
cases where DFSR is not deployed.

Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
DAVID A BERMINGHAM