Initial Replication through backup/xcopy?
Geoff Walker
2006-09-05 16:33:33 UTC
I'm sure it's been beaten to death here, but if somebody could point me to
an article or explain how to do initial replication through a file-level
copy (external disk drive) or through ntbackup i would much appreciate it.

--Geoff
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-06 13:46:27 UTC
If we're talking about DFSR and pre-staging of data (as I think we are):

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/1aa249c0-40f3-4974-b67f-e650b602415e1033.mspx?mfr=true <
see section on "Plan for DFS Replication Deployment"
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
Geoff Walker
Ned Pyle [MSFT]

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-09-07 16:56:54 UTC
Geoff, to reiterate what Ned said, DFS Replication and FRS have different
methods of prestaging. FRS is far more picky and requires the use of
NTBackup to ensure that certain file metadata is present on the restored
version. DFS Replication is more flexible, so you could use Robocopy or some
other method (or NTBackup if you want).

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Geoff Walker
2006-09-07 17:00:03 UTC
I remember reading in the design document
[http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/1aa249c0-40f3-4974-b67f-e650b602415e1033.mspx?pf=true]
(or maybe on here) that when using ntbackup that the VSS is triggered, and
then when the restore is run the DFSR database realizes this and recatalogs
all the files against the remote server.

However, now that i read the design document again I see that it says
"If you need initial replication to complete more quickly, you can prestage
the data on the hub server by backing up the branch servers' data to media.
Ship the media to the hub site and copy the files to the replicated folder
on the hub server. Then, when you set up replication, only the changes are
replicated from the branch server to the hub server."

To me this reads that I need to stage the files BEFORE i set up the
replication group...guess i missed that the first time.