Setting up DFS 1st time and it is still offline
Dan
2006-04-18 02:29:02 UTC
Hi, I setup DFS on our new Win2003 server R2. However, the status is always
offline. May I know what is wrong? We have Win2K Server and Win2003 Server
running in our network. Only one domain. Someone pls advise, thks!
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-04-18 23:00:11 UTC
Can you elaborate? Are you talking about a namespace or DFS Replication?
Where is the status showing Offline?

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Dan
2006-04-19 02:41:02 UTC
Hi, the target link I setup indicated it is offline. According to MS support
site, it said if the target is offline, that means it cannot be reached or
something else is preventing the target from being reached. Duh...of course
there is something wrong but what I want to know is what is wrong?
This is a new Win2003 Server R2 setup. I haven't ran the Security Wizard, so
nothing is locked down. It is setup as a domain based DFS. Another thing I
noticed, is that when I setup this domain based DFS, there is no tab for me
to publish it in Active Directory.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-04-19 15:56:23 UTC
Are you able to access the link target using its UNC path, such as
\\servername\sharename?

Also, the option for publishing in Active Directory was broken in W2K3, so
this functionality was removed from the R2 version of the DFS Management
snap-in.

Dan
2006-04-19 16:08:02 UTC
Thks for your response Jill. No, I cannot access the target link. In my
test environment, I was able to publish to Active Directory in Win2003 Server
R2. I'm not sure why you indicated it is broken? If it is truly broken,
then how can I publish it to AD or I don't have to?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-04-19 16:42:17 UTC
So you are saying that even though you have a shared folder on a server,
it's not accessible remotely, either by using the server name
(\\servername\sharename) or the namespace path
(\\domainname\rootname\linkname), correct? If that's the case, it's not a
DFS issue but something else. Could a firewall be preventing access? Can you
ping the server at all?

There is no need to publish a namespace in AD for it to be accessible by
users or for it to be redundant (assuming you have multiple root targets).
This option was supposed to enable users to search for the namespace in AD
(or something along those lines) but in no way affects namespace
functionality.

Dan
2006-04-19 16:53:01 UTC
Sorry Jill. Yes, I can map a drive to the share folder using the UNC path
\\Servername\sharename. I just cannot map to the namespace. Now, I cannot
create the same DFS root. I got the error msg saying root name already exists
but I did remove it from the MMC console.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-04-19 18:19:23 UTC
If you're having trouble deleting a root, try the following KB.

HOW TO: Force Deletion of DFS Configuration Information

224384

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=224384

I need to follow up on the reasons why a target would appear offline in the
snap-in even though the target is accessible.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-04-19 18:29:53 UTC
Can you confirm which snap-in you're using in R2? I assumed you were using
the DFS Management snap-in, which is new in R2. However, I'm told that this
snap-in has no "offline" indicator but the old snap-in (Distributed File
System snap-in) does.

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no
Dan
2006-04-19 19:00:02 UTC
I'm using the old snap-in. How do I run the new DFS Management snap-in?
Btw, all we want is to use DFS in our single domain network. No replication,
at least for now. So it is fairly simple. However, I need to get this DFS
working first ;((
thks!
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

thks!
Dan
2006-04-19 19:51:02 UTC
First, I installed the optional component for DFS and now I can configure
using the DFS Management console. The console showed the existing namespace
but I cannot remove it even after following the article you mentioned here.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

thks!
Dan
2006-04-19 20:28:02 UTC
I was trying to remove the existing DFS configuration and yes, I do have
permission as I'm logged on as a domain admin.
Is there a way I can remove the entire DFS root and start all over again?
thks!
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-04-19 21:04:44 UTC
Well, if deleting the root in the snap-in did not work, and this KB article
did not work, I'm not sure what else to tell you. There is either still a
reference in the registry or in AD that is preventing you from creating a
root with the same name. If the deletion of either the regkey or AD object
fails, it is most likely a permission issue (I can't think of what else it
would be). You could try restarting the DFS service to see if this clears up
the problem.

Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Can you elaborate? Are you talking about a namespace or DFS
Replication?
Where is the status showing Offline?
confers
no
rights.
thks!
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-04-20 16:01:56 UTC
Another customer reported success doing the following:

net stop dfs
dfsutil /clean /Server:<Servername> /Share:<Sharename>
net start dfs

thks!
Dan
2006-04-20 18:21:01 UTC
Thks Jill. Since this is a new setup server, I've decided to resetup the
entire server from scratch. Bringing up the DFS Management now doesn't have
any errors. Still need to setup my namespace and will see how DFS can help
us. Thks so much for your time and help!
I do have another question, but not related to this, so I'll create a new
post.
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Are you able to access the link target using its UNC path, such
as
\\servername\sharename?
Also, the option for publishing in Active Directory was broken in
W2K3,
so
this functionality was removed from the R2 version of the DFS
Management
snap-in.
confers no
rights.