FRS: Ultrasound , ProviderDeployment
Simon Zimmer
2004-09-09 08:07:49 UTC
Hi,

we have to w2k3 domains with trusted relationship between. We have set
up an WinXP Client with MSDE database for FRS Monitoring (Ultrasound).
The ProviderDeployment installed without any problem on the dcs where
the Xp Client is but for the second domain i receive an error message:

Could not retrieve WMI settings (system root) for server =...
Please verify that you have network connectivity, RPC is enabled, WMI
service is running and you have permissions to access the remote
machine. System.Management.ManagementException: Zugriff verweigert.
at
System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus
errorCode) at
System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o) at
System.Management.ManagementScope.Initia 09.09.2004 09:54:53
09.09.2004 09:54:58 False 00:00:07 0 bytes

What rights do i have to set, that the ProviderDeployment would install
prober. Would it work i install the msi Package manually?

Thx,
Simon
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2004-09-21 01:02:53 UTC
Simon,

Most likely it is permissions issue. To validate it you can use the
wbemtest.exe tool. Run it on machine where is your Ultrasound UI is running
under the same credentials, connect to \\<remote machine>\root\cimv2 and
issue a query, say, "select * from win32_operatingsystem". Tell us what the
result is and then we can dig deeper.

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Simon
Simon Zimmer
2004-09-21 12:51:59 UTC
Hi,
Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
Simon,
Most likely it is permissions issue. To validate it you can use the
wbemtest.exe tool. Run it on machine where is your Ultrasound UI is running
under the same credentials, connect to \\<remote machine>\root\cimv2 and
issue a query, say, "select * from win32_operatingsystem". Tell us what the
result is and then we can dig deeper.
I also think that it is a permission issue. The wbemtest test worked
without any problems. I also tried to install the USProvider manually
but it could not collect data from the dcs of the other domain.
Any suggestions?

Simon
Simon Zimmer
2004-09-21 14:30:27 UTC
i get another error message in ultrasound now:

Cannot connect to WMI server "dc1.FQDN" using Namespace
Root\CIMV2\Applications\MicrosoftUltrasoundV1, authority
kerberos:"FQDN\dc1" (0x80010002): Aufruf wurde durch Messagefilter
abgebrochen. (SmartConnectToWbemServices 543)

Hope that helps to find the error.

Simon
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2004-09-24 23:35:47 UTC
Simon,

Could you do another test. In the wbemtest in connect dialog specify "packet
privacy" and enter "kerberos:<your domain name>\<your machine name>" in the
"Authority" edit box. Where <your domain name> is the full DNS name of your
domain. Attempt to connect. If it fails, try to change authority string to
the "kerberos:rpcss/<your machine name>.<your domain name>". See if it
works.

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Simon
Simon Zimmer
2004-09-25 20:38:11 UTC
Hi,
Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
In the wbemtest in connect dialog specify "packet
privacy" and enter "kerberos:<your domain name>\<your machine name>" in the
"Authority" edit box. Where <your domain name> is the full DNS name of your
domain. Attempt to connect.
this test works on the PDC but not on the second DC, which fails with a
long timeout and an "RPC Server unavailable" error.

Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
the "kerberos:rpcss/<your machine name>.<your domain name>". See if it
works.
this test failed for both domain controllers with "The RPC Server is
unavailable (0x800706ba)". there is now timeout delay as in the test above.

In the eventlog on the ultrasound server i got DCOM Errors with ID 10006
and 10009.

"eventid: 10006
Dcom got error "access denied" from the computer "dc1" when attempting
to activate the server:
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}"

when i searched the registry i found out that this is related with winmgmt.

Any ideas, which rights are missing?
Simon
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2004-09-26 03:08:00 UTC
Simon,

Is WMI service started on machine which you're trying to connect ? Try "net
start winmgmt" in the command line on that machine.

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Hi,
Simon
Simon Zimmer
2004-09-26 14:43:35 UTC
Hi,

it is running on both dcs.
Mark Lockwood
2004-10-01 09:45:04 UTC
All,

I have exactly the same issue on one of my 2000 servers. Any suggestions
would be greatfully recieved.
Post by Simon Zimmer
Hi,
it is running on both dcs.
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2004-10-04 20:53:23 UTC
Mark,

Could you describe the error you got (full error string, including error
code) and your environment (domains, trusts) with more details ?

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Post by Mark Lockwood
All,
I have exactly the same issue on one of my 2000 servers. Any suggestions
would be greatfully recieved.
Post by Simon Zimmer
Hi,
it is running on both dcs.
Mark Lockwood
2004-10-13 10:59:12 UTC
Our situation is as follows;

I have a DFS running 8 servers in an Native 2000 domain over 5 sites with 8
DCs. All servers are the same SP level.

I rolled out Ultrasound across the domain at the same time, and the provider
installed on all of the servers but one.

There is nothing special about this server. It is the same hardware and
build type as 2 of the others.

The problem seems to be related to WMI, where is it not creating the
Ultrasound section.

Any suggestions of how I can force the entry into WMI would be great.

Regards,

Mark
Post by Mark Lockwood
All,
I have exactly the same issue on one of my 2000 servers. Any suggestions
would be greatfully recieved.
Post by Simon Zimmer
Hi,
it is running on both dcs.
Harshit Agarwal [MSFT]
2004-10-15 20:34:37 UTC
Could you collect the following info about the server that is failing to
install the provider?

Versions
Ultrasound (version 1.0.xxx.yyy) -

Target OS (target for provider deployment) -

Source OS (running the Ultrasound console) -

Credentials used for remote deployment (local administrator on target
machine or domain administrator or other) -

Error message displayed in the Ultrasound Console (Under the "Advanced"
tab -> "General" -> "Provider deployment status" -> "Description" column)

Log Files
Collect %windir%\USProvider.log (log file is written out by the windows
installer) and %windir%USSetAcl.log (log file written while modifying the
WMI namespace) from the target machine.
--
Harshit Agarwal [MSFT]
Post by Mark Lockwood
All,
I have exactly the same issue on one of my 2000 servers. Any suggestions
would be greatfully recieved.
Post by Simon Zimmer
Hi,
it is running on both dcs.
Mark Lockwood
2004-10-20 09:39:01 UTC
Hi,

Ultrasound - V1.0 B4079.0

Target and Source both Win2K Server, SP4

Credentials is the domain admin

Error message - After 5 or more failed attempts, Ultrasound has been unable
to collect data from these servers for more than 1 day.

On the failed server, there are no logs or the Ultrasound.msi

Hope this helps

Mark
Post by Mark Lockwood
All,
I have exactly the same issue on one of my 2000 servers. Any suggestions
would be greatfully recieved.
Post by Simon Zimmer
Hi,
it is running on both dcs.
Charles C
2004-10-22 16:27:04 UTC
I cannot find the article with the direct relation to Ultrasound
anymore, but I do know that it wanted you to run the update found at
this article before the WMI provider would install correctly:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823230

You'll notice that this fixes a memnory leak issue in WMI for Windows
Server 2003. Hope this helps
Post by Mark Lockwood
All,
I have exactly the same issue on one of my 2000 servers. Any suggestions
would be greatfully recieved.
Post by Simon Zimmer
Hi,
it is running on both dcs.