Access DFS from non-domain XP
s***@gmail.com
2006-03-30 00:21:35 UTC
Hello,
We use DFS on Windows 2000 servers. The DFS structure looks like this:

1. \\<domain>\root1 -> \\Server1\Dir1
2. \\<domain>\root1\path1 -> \\<domain>\root2
3. \\<domain>\root1\path2 -> \\Server1\Dir2
4. \\<domain>\root2 -> \\Server2\Dir3

Users have no problem to access all the files if login the domain. On
non domain Windows 2000 workstation, users (without login to domain)
also have no problem to access any of the files. However, on non domain
Windows XP (sp1), users can only access 1, 3 & 4. When XP users try to
access \\<domain>\root1\path1, they get "The network path was not
found" error.

I have tried the "EnableDfsLoopbackTargets" registry trick, it still
does not work. I searched on Internet and Microsoft site, and did not
find answers. Somewhere a person mentioned DFS link can not contain
another link. However, Microsoft does said a "A link target can be any
UNC path. For example, a link target could be a shared folder or
another DFS path."

Please help.

DC,
Ned Pyle (MSFT)
2006-03-31 16:41:24 UTC
Hi,

It's not possible and is expected behavior for XP machines in a workgroup. I
believe you worked a case with one of my engineers on this yesterday (unless
this is a huge coincidence!).

Ned
Hello,
DC,
s***@gmail.com
2006-04-01 04:11:25 UTC
Ned,
It is probably coincident.
Why it is not possible and what does XP expect ? Does this means
furture version's servers and clients will not work either, or just Win
2k servers with XP client ?
Thanks

DC,
B***@hotmail.com
2006-04-04 04:13:13 UTC
NED,

This is even a bigger coincidence. I am the guy your engineer was on
the phone with. I think his name was DON. We worked on this for three
days and spent about 8 hours on the phone together over two days. I
work in DC. Thank god someone else is having this problem. This is
hell. Maybe now they can work on getting this fixed. Thier are posts
all over here about this problem, just most people dont know how to
explain this. I will show this to my TAM.

I am having the same issue. My XP non-domain clients cannot connect to
my W2K Domain servers hosting DFS roots. I played with this in our lab
and got it two work. Except I have no idea what the he11 I did. I
played with the reg so much I cant remember. I made a change on the
server side NOT the client side. I know this because all of my
co-workers connect thier laptops to my lab and they can access
(\\DOMAIN NAME\SHARE) but, when they are on my production network it
does not work. HHHEEELLLPPP

Bryan (D.C.)
Ned Pyle (MSFT)
2006-04-04 20:18:46 UTC
Yep, I spoke with Don about an hour back. We should have an action plan in
place shortly to try and figure out how you got this working (since our own
Dev's claim it's not possible! :-) ). Once we have the answer I'll repost
back in here for all to see.

Ned
Bryan (D.C.)
s***@gmail.com
2006-04-16 06:22:46 UTC
Ned,

Have you figure it out yet ?
Also,
2k servers with XP client ?
Ned Pyle (MSFT)
2006-04-18 00:36:50 UTC
Hiya,

Yep, I was able to track this back a few years ago where a customer ran into
the same thing a few years back, and it was bugged and closed as 'by design'
in Windows 2000. Since 2000 is out of mainstream support, the only option
for that OS would be to file a DCR and also have a Custom Support Agreement
in place to take another try at having that changed.

HOWEVER!

I can confirm that this issue does *not* occur if your DFS environment is
running Windows Server 2003. Everything works as you desire in that
scenario. The issue did not appear to be big enough with our Win2000
customers that it was ever redesigned, but in 2003 they did it anyways for
reasons unexplained.

I hope the good news here tempers the bad news, and sorry for the delay in
reply,

Ned
Post by s***@gmail.com
Ned,