DFS Referrals
Michael
2008-03-13 22:47:07 UTC
I have DFS working on Server 2003 R2 and many of my computers are getting a
bad referral across a costly WAN link. How can I view the referral a client
computer is getting?

Thanks,

Michael
DaveMills
2008-03-14 05:58:16 UTC
Post by Michael
I have DFS working on Server 2003 R2 and many of my computers are getting a
bad referral across a costly WAN link. How can I view the referral a client
computer is getting?
On the client open properties of the share and look at the DFS tab

Sounds like you do not have Active Directory sites set up.
Post by Michael
Thanks,
Michael
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Vinod V
2008-03-14 08:53:02 UTC
Dear DaveMills,

Check the dfs utility through command "dfsutil /pktinfo", upgrade all
the patches and servicepacks, for further details browse
"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905846"

if i am wrong please correct me

Thanks and Regards,
Vinod V
9886127522
Post by DaveMills
Post by Michael
I have DFS working on Server 2003 R2 and many of my computers are getting a
bad referral across a costly WAN link. How can I view the referral a client
computer is getting?
On the client open properties of the share and look at the DFS tab
Sounds like you do not have Active Directory sites set up.
Post by Michael
Thanks,
Michael
Michael
2008-03-14 23:04:13 UTC
I have verified the bad referral using dfsutil /pktinfo. Two of the
referrals reference a server that has been decommissioned. Any idea how to
repair this.

Thanks,
Post by DaveMills
Post by Michael
I have DFS working on Server 2003 R2 and many of my computers are getting a
bad referral across a costly WAN link. How can I view the referral a client
computer is getting?
On the client open properties of the share and look at the DFS tab
Sounds like you do not have Active Directory sites set up.
Post by Michael
Thanks,
Michael
V Vinod (HTMT)
2008-03-15 07:23:01 UTC
Hi Michael,

Check if netvol and sysvol shares are working fine, check for
restrictions on Group policy for netvol and sysvol shares because it will
send random referal from DFS Server.

ensure to install latest hotfixes on all dfs servers.

If its on a WAN Link check the site cost and the all the sites are added
on AD Sites services.

Check for registry entries on all servers on different locations at
("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dfs\Parameters")

Once again for your issue I think you should check the Netlogon and Sysvol
shares and permissions, and have a check on group policy also as mentioned
earlier
--
V Vinod
Senior Executive
Post by DaveMills
Post by Michael
I have DFS working on Server 2003 R2 and many of my computers are getting a
bad referral across a costly WAN link. How can I view the referral a client
computer is getting?
On the client open properties of the share and look at the DFS tab
Sounds like you do not have Active Directory sites set up.
Post by Michael
Thanks,
Michael
Michael