Number of links per DFS namespace ????
Aneil
2006-09-06 18:17:02 UTC
Hi,

I am currently not using DFS yet.
This statement from MS is not clear to me "Number of links per DFS
namespace". Does this mean not more then 5000 files/folders can be on one
DFS namespace?

I have many shares but one of my single shares is as folllows, is there a
problem with the nmber of files/folders in this share? Can I implement DFS
with a current share with these numbers?

Size = ~200Gig
325000files
33500 folders

Thanks in advance.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-09-06 19:51:09 UTC
This limitation refers to the number of links (folders with targets) in a
namespace. If you link to a shared folder that has subfolders, then this
limit doesn't apply. The purpose of the limit is to keep the namespace
blob/metadata to a reasonable size.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Thanks in advance.
Aneil
2006-09-06 21:12:02 UTC
Trying to clearify what you mean.

If I currently have non-DFS share of;
\\servername\sharename
And the "sharename" has the following within it it is ok as long as all
these files/folders are not in the root of the sharename.
Size = ~200Gig
325000files
33500 folders

\\servername\sharename currently only has in the root of \sharename 20 or so
files\folders.

When DFS is introduced is would end up being \\domainname\namespace and it
will still have all the same files\folders in it as above.

THanks, Let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-09-07 16:54:45 UTC
Hi Aneil,

If I understand you correctly, you have a share called
\\servername\sharename that has subfolders underneath it. You want to add
this share as the root for your namespace, correct? So it would be
\\domain\sharename as your namespace. If you do it this way, DFS does not
care about the subfolders, and these do not count against the limit we
discussed earlier. All DFS is doing is providing a referral to
\\servername\sharename, so in essence, this is considered a single folder
that counts against the limit.

Thanks in advance.
John Ericson
2006-09-07 19:05:02 UTC
I think I know where you are coming from. During the wizard it says something
along the lines of "we recommend a maximum of 5,000 folders under a
namespace", I took that to mean 5,000 folders including sub-folders. For
about 5 mins I was trying to convince myself it obviously meant "5,000
links", eventually google rescued my brain from having to debate the meaning
anymore.

Had I been up on the latest (revised) terminology and understood it then I
would have spared myself from the 5 mins of panic.

(my google search came across one guy with the same misconception).
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-07 19:10:06 UTC
Google? Never heard of it...

;-)
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-09-07 20:33:30 UTC
I hear you--you must be using R2. We debated the new terminiology
extensively, though it seems that the people familiar with DFS were hardest
hit :-) I hope you find the new snap-in useful, though!