DFS root replicas
Nitin
2004-10-14 08:41:14 UTC
Hi All,

As per my knowledge it is not recommended to have DFS root replicas rather
we should have replica sets for dfs links, is that true? Kindly explain why?
In my network setup where domain based dfs is located across WAN links, I
thought of having root replica sets across the WAN link. Please advice me on
this.

Thnaks in advance
Nitin
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2004-10-14 16:00:44 UTC
In a domain DFS namespace, using multiple targets for a root is usually
recommended because you increase the availability of the namespace. If you
have clients in the remote site across your WAN, then they can access their
local DFS root replica instead of traversing the WAN. The downside would be
that if a local DFS root replica goes down, clients will traverse the WAN to
reach the other replica--but only if the root referral expires. Also,
clients always prefer the DFS root replica in their own AD site, so they
will always use the local server it it's available (and if you have AD sites
set up correctly).
Nitin
Nitin
2004-10-14 16:45:03 UTC
Hi Jill,

First of all thank you for the peice of knowledge you shared with us. One
question, are there any real disadvantages for setting up replica of the
root, as Microsft really dosn't recommends it. Now, comin to my network with
root replicas spread across the WAN link, I have around 12 of them as soon as
a new link is created I see a lot of Morphed folders for the newly created
link (may be two three root replica try to replicate or create the folder not
sure!) Please advice.

Thanks
Nitin
Nitin
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2004-10-14 17:04:14 UTC
Hi,

Although creating multiple root replicas is recommended for namespace
availability, we *do not* recommend enabling FRS replication on the root.
There are several reasons why we don't recommend this, the morphed folder
issue is just one of the reasons. There is no need to enable replication on
a root for namespace availability--DFS takes care of creating the structures
it needs on each of the root replicas. Sometimes customers will store actual
data in the root and then want to enable replication so that the data is
replicated to all root replicas, but you are much better off putting that
data into its own shared folder, creating a link to the shared folder, and
then optionally replicating the link.

For more information about why replicating a root is not recommended, see
the DFS FAQ at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/dfsfaq.mspx.
The question you want is called:

Q. If I use multiple root targets in a domain-based DFS namespace, do I need
to enable replication on the root?
Nitin
Nitin
2004-10-15 07:55:08 UTC
2004-10-15 16:02:46 UTC
Nitin
2004-10-18 09:33:10 UTC
Hi Jill,

Many Thanks

Nitin Bharti
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
One alternative that comes to mind is Sharepoint, at least from a
collaboration and version control perspective, but I'm not sure if
Sharepoint does any compression or replication.
Post by Nitin
Hi Jill,
I really appreciate your help. The URL is really knowledgeable, one last
thing I was curious was do Microsft have some alternatives to DFS (
clooborative technologies etc)?? Any other technology which can really
compress the data and replicate that onto other partners, like we need it
across WAN links and does some kind of version control for the documents
etc...
Many Thnaks
Nitin