add and delete folder to replication group in Win2k3 R2
Arlequin
2006-10-06 10:23:01 UTC
Hello,

I have installed and configured DFS on a Win2k3 R2. It works fine.
Then I have created a replication group with some directory.

It seems to works but i have lots of warning about Staging Space.
Maybe i will have to grow up Quotas

Then i have remove a folder to the replication group.
I have a new error :

The DFS Replication service detected inconsistent msDFSR-Subscription object
while polling for configuration information. The object at
CN=447bc094-7faf-490d-9401-b1c91906fb99,CN=a2042fde-e899-42ee-9913-47b41d8f6c0c,CN=DFSR-LocalSettings,CN=S-FIC-01,OU=Byron,OU=Serveurs,DC=hds,DC=local
references another object at 447BC094-7FAF-490D-9401-B1C91906FB99 that does
not exist.

Additional Information:
Domain Controller: s-dc-01.hds.local
Polling Cycle: 60 minutes

I have try to add again the folder i have removed but, it said that the
folder replication already exist.

So,
First, how to add this folder (without rename the folder) and remove this
error. (maybe delete replication group then recreate ?)
Second, How to choose right size staging quotas ?
Robert A Post, Jr (MSFT)
2006-10-10 00:06:58 UTC
You can use the DFSRAdmin tool to cleanup subscriptions that maybe dangling
in AD. I'm trying to coordinate with component owners to get you some
better instructions than that.

Thanks,

Robert A Post, Jr [MSFT]
Distributed File Service Replication Test
Arlequin
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-10-10 00:29:47 UTC
Post by Arlequin
It seems to works but i have lots of warning about Staging Space.
After configuring the replicated folders, use DFSMGMT.MSC to increase staging sizes (this is under Replication | Memberships | properties | Advanced).

(From http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/1aa249c0-40f3-4974-b67f-e650b602415e1033.mspx)

1. Size the Staging Quota to avoid restaging:

- RDC uses an alternate data stream in the staging folder to hold checksum
information. As long as the files remain in the staging folder and are not purged,
they can be reused in subsequent downstream staging with no CPU overhead.
- The closer the staging space is kept to the size of replicated data, the less
CPU/Disk overhead in maintaining those files in general, as there will not be a
constant purge/reload going on. Obviously, this may not always be possible for
customers based on space limitations.

2. Size the Quota to avoid reaching quota:

- If Staging is below 100% of quota, it will replicate at the maximum rate of 9
files (5 outbound, 4 inbound). If quota is met this is arbitrarily dropped to a
single outbound thread until staging quota goes below 90%. It is recommended that
the 9 largest files in a replicated folder do not exceed 10% of the staging quota,
in order to avoid potential backlogs.
The DFS Replication service detected inconsistent msDFSR-Subscription object
while polling for configuration information. I have try to add again the folder i have removed but, it said that the
folder replication already exist.

Two solutions here:

1. Patience :-). As it says, waiting 60 minutes for the long polling interval to complete rather than removing/adding/removing/adding replicated folders over and over. DFSR depends on AD replication - you are jumping the gun here.

or

2. DFSRDIAG/REPLMON - you can use REPLMON (2003 support tools) to force AD sync faster than the default schedules. You can then use DFSRDIAG POLADD to have the DFSR machines poll faster than the default 60 minutes to pick up major changes.
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
Arlequin
2006-10-10 08:54:02 UTC
Thank you for information.

First, I have deleted Replication Group and recreated another one. It
deleted the error.

Second, for the Staging Quotas, i set it to 16GB. I always give me Warning
about Staging Quotas !!! In the folder, there is only users .PST outlook
file. Each file sized approxymatively 1GB.
So, There is more than 50 files open daily in the same time !
Would it be a problem ?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]