DCOM errors
Danny Sanders
2006-12-06 16:33:06 UTC
I'm getting the two errors in the diagnostic report ran for one of the
branch servers and the Hub server.

Replication group was set up yesterday, set up the group to replicate from
3:00 pm to 6:00 am using full bandwidth (T1 connection)14 gig did replicate,
about 3 gig did not replicate.

I'm getting these errors on the branch server

Cannot retrieve version vectors from this member.
Cannot connect to reporting DCOM server.

On the hub server I'm getting this warning :
This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder
(replicated folder name)

I'm assuming this is because of the DCOM error on the branch server. How to
get rid of the errors on the branch server?

TIA
DDS
Craig Davis
DDS
Danny Sanders

DDS
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-12-07 17:43:20 UTC
I've only found a few support calls on this. Here's a recommendation based
on the calls:

Based on the research about the error message, the issue can occur if we run
the
health check report on the remote server. If so, please refer the
information in
the SUGGESTION section to check if the RPC and DCOM ports are opened
properly
between the remote server and the DFS hosted Server.

SUGGESTION:
=========================
If you encounter the issue only when you run the Health Check report
remotely,
please follow the steps listed in the section "Remote Procedure Calls and
DCOM" of
the KB below to check if the desired ports are opened.

Service overview and network port requirements for the Windows Server system
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832017>

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
DDS
Danny Sanders
2006-12-07 20:37:21 UTC
There is no firewall between the two servers.

I have another replication group set up using the same hub server but a
different Branch server, this diagnostic report does not have *any* errors.

DDS
DDS
Danny Sanders
2006-12-07 23:18:09 UTC
The Hub server has a 1006 DCOM error that refers to the DFSR. Server health
report program on the branch server. It's a "General Access Denied error".

I compared the permissions on the DFSR Server Health report program to the
permissions on the same object on a second branch server (set up in a
replication group with the same hub) and they are Identical.

One thing I did notice is the ping response from the hub server to the
problem server is between 60 and 66 ms and the ping response between the
*same* hub and a different branch server is 39 or 40 ms.

This was a pilot program and now it is going into production. I used the
same servers in the pilot that I'm using now, but I don't yet have all of
them setup. I say this because during the pilot, I had another server with
the same errors, pinging this server (not a the replication group now but
was earlier with errors) is also in the 60 to 70 ms ping response range.

Can the delay cause these problems? If so is there a way to increase the
"timeout"?

DDS
DDS
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-12-08 16:50:27 UTC
Danny, with relatively few reports of this error, I'm at a dead end. I don't
know enough about the mechanics of health reporting to assist. I will try to
get some of our DFSR experts in here to see if they can help. If you're not
able to get an answer from us quickly enough, I would recommend opening a
case with Product Support to help troubleshoot this.

DDS
Danny Sanders

DDS
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-12-08 19:29:48 UTC
Danny, I'm told you need to install the hotfix in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912154 on ALL servers, not just the one
generating reports.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Post by Danny Sanders
Thanks
DDS
DDS
Danny Sanders

DDS
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-12-08 22:01:53 UTC
It's on all of them and you are still getting the errors?

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Post by Danny Sanders
I found that out Dec 1st. :-)
It's on all of them.
DDS
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Danny, I'm told you need to install the hotfix in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912154 on ALL servers, not just the one
generating reports.
Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies?
Visit our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Post by Danny Sanders
Thanks
DDS
DDS
Danny Sanders
2006-12-08 22:20:58 UTC
Yes it's on all of them.

It's been on them since the first of the month.

DDS
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
It's on all of them and you are still getting the errors?
Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies?
Visit our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Post by Danny Sanders
I found that out Dec 1st. :-)
It's on all of them.
DDS
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Danny, I'm told you need to install the hotfix in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912154 on ALL servers, not just the one
generating reports.
Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies?
Visit our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Post by Danny Sanders
Thanks
DDS
DDS
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-12-09 00:04:01 UTC
Unless you've made some DCOM permissions changes (via DCOMCNFG or LSA/WINREG
reg settings) that you can un-do, I'm out of answers for you. Even my
support contact suggests opening a case. There are too many possibilities to
cover here in the newsgroups.

Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
It's on all of them and you are still getting the errors?
Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies?
Visit our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Post by Danny Sanders
I found that out Dec 1st. :-)
It's on all of them.
DDS
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Danny, I'm told you need to install the hotfix in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912154 on ALL servers, not just the one
generating reports.
Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies?
Visit our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Post by Danny Sanders
Thanks
DDS
DDS
s***@fibertower.com
2007-02-02 20:18:31 UTC
I've actually come across the same issue. I have 14 servers all doing
replication, I only have one reporting issues with DCOM and version
vectors as listed above by others. I've run the hotfix and checked all
the permissions of the DCOM items that had DFS relevancy and compared
them to a a functioning machine and still no fix.

The data actually seems to be replicating fine but the reports are
failing.

Any new insight?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2007-02-02 21:33:21 UTC
And:

1. In DCOMCNFG, the DCOM service computer node (my computer) does not have a
red down arrow (for being offline)?
2. The DTC Service is started?
3. DCOM Server Process Launcher Service is started?
4. This is not on any clustered machines?

My apologies if you've already checked all this from earlier posts, just
being thorough.
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
Any new insight?
Dave Mills
2006-12-09 09:06:49 UTC
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:29:48 -0800, "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]"
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Danny, I'm told you need to install the hotfix in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912154 on ALL servers, not just the one
generating reports.
It really would be nice to have the update available via WU/MU/WSUS
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.