Will DFS R2 Work for Me?
J***@gmail.com
2006-09-11 23:04:46 UTC
My headquarters is in NY and I have a small office in London ( 3
people). I will be upgrading my existing File server (which also
serves as a domain controller) to Windows 2003 R2. London will be
getting their own File server which will also serve as a Domain
Controller.

Currently, London users access files over a WAN with each side having
an Internet T1. Users in London are part of the NY domain and will
stay that way. They access their own files and sometimes access, but
almost never modify any NY documents.

I want to use DFS to keep NY and London in sync so that I only need to
replicate changes from NY to our Disaster Recovery Site as opposed to
from both locations.

1. Will this work as I hope?
2. Will the permissions on the shares and files remain as they were
before DFS (which is what I would like to happen)?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-12 00:21:00 UTC
Response to title: Yes.

Response to question 1: Yes.

Response to question 2: Yes.

:-)

DFSR is tailor-made for the scenario you describe. RDC is deigned
specifically for the sorts of medium-bandwidth, remote branch, DR
environment you are managing.
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
J***@gmail.com
2006-09-12 00:55:52 UTC
Thanks for your reply Ned. Is there a step by step tutorial (not
necessarilly multimedia) on how to implement this?

Currently we are replicating deltas from the NY file server to DR using
XO Soft's WANSync. I'm upgrading the DR file server to R2 also, but
would probably still use it despite being able to use DFS to replicate
the changes. Can you give me any strategic reason as to why I might
want to use DFS over WANSync?

One other question is how long would it take for deltas to replicate
from London to NY assuming I am in an Excel spreadsheet updating it?
Are they real time as long as the bandwidth permits it or do you set an
interval for the servers to poll each other for changes?

Would I need to make each NY and London server a DFS Namespace? I need
to read up on this a little more, because I saw one place where you can
have DFS Namespaces which use DFS replication?

Thanks again Ned.
Post by Ned Pyle [MSFT]
Response to title: Yes.
Response to question 1: Yes.
Response to question 2: Yes.
:-)
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-09-12 01:19:14 UTC
That WANSync product looks neato. One thing I cannot seem to drag out of
their website though is if it does differential (delta) replication - I.e.
does it replicate only changes in file blocks, or does it replicate the
entire file when it's changed? That's the big thing that DFSR brings to the
table: I make a 1 row change in a 50MB spreadsheet and I only have to
replicate those blocks, not the whole file. Big savings in bandwidth and
time. On the other hand, they can do lots of things I know we can't do with
DFSR. Which leads me to...

The nice thing here is, you own both products - I'd recommend you set up
some test beds and compare them both to see which one you want to go forward
with. That way you get to make the recommendation. :-)

To answer some of your other questions:

1. Is there a step by step tutorial (not necessarilly multimedia) on how to
implement this?

Yep.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/52516795-986b-48a3-a4a3-1c06277d92fb1033.mspx

2. Are they real time as long as the bandwidth permits it or do you set an
interval for the servers to poll each other for changes?

Technically with DFSR, you can set both bandwidth throttles and scheduled
replication intervals. More:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/1aa249c0-40f3-4974-b67f-e650b602415e1033.mspx?mfr=true.
If I understand your question the answer is: when the schedule is open,
replication occurs as files are changed, created, or deleted. When the
schedule closes, replication stops, regardless of whether all changed or new
files have replicated.

3. Would I need to make each NY and London server a DFS Namespace?

Nope. You did for FRS, but not for DFSR. Technically don't even need to
share the folders being replicated...

J***@gmail.com
2006-09-12 12:43:52 UTC
I'm looking forward to viewing your links - thanks so much.

Re: WANSync, it does transfer the deltas. My last company used it for
File, Exchange and SQL 2000 replication. It is pretty cool, especially
if you get the HA (Hi Availability) version that lets you switch to DR
in seconds. I brought it into my last company and on one of my last
days we had problem with our Exchange cluster. We literally flipped a
switch and all users had to do was exit Outlook and re-open it They
even give users a message stating something like, "Your adminsitrator
has made changes, please close and relaunch Outlook'. It was a good
way to go out. You can set it to automatically failover, but it isn't
advised incase you are doing some routine maintenance, you don't want
to start changing DNS records and start operating out of a remote site.
Once you are ready to fail back to production, you simply tell it to
fail back and it copies all the changes back to Production. They also
give you the ability to pause replication and some other neat bells and
whistles.

Since I've been here at my new company I haven't had a chance to get my
hands on the DR setup, but that's coming soon enough :-)

The cool thing about DFS is that it is free. I'm sure that if the R2
release had been out when we setup DR at my last company, we would've
gone the free route and lost out on some of the features because they
are very frugal there.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-09-12 15:46:59 UTC
Quick update regarding the tutorial--we do have an actual step-by-step guide
at
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/14211e1f-2dbd-418d-b721-2005c725ce351033.mspx?mfr=true.

Everything we have for DFS in R2 (and W2K3) is up at www.microsoft.com/dfs.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.