member is waiting for initial replication for 2 days now.. Help!
Igor
2006-08-21 16:49:01 UTC
Hi,

I need help with DFS. Some folders are replicating and some not. When I
run the diagnostic report it tells me that This member is waiting for initial
replication. it's been like this for 2 days now. Is there any way to kick
start it? Also there is nothing in the logs that show an error for DFS.

thanks in advance
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-21 19:41:33 UTC
Just to be clear here - DFSR is not working. DFS does not replicate - it's
just a namespace consolidation mechanism. Not nitpicking - we just did a
really bad thing by calling them almost the same thing, confusing our
customers to no end! :-)

Are the folders not replicating the ones with far, far more data than the
ones that are working fine? It could simply still be working through all the
files and adding them to the database. You can try increasing staging size,
making sure that the RPC hotfix is installed, the latest TCPIP.SYS is on the
system (inbox version had a timeout bug), network drivers are totally up to
date... as you can see, I'm just fishing here. There could be 2 dozen
different reasons.

If there are no errors in the health logs or DFSR event logs, and it's just
slow to replicate (and you want to look at this without waiting any longer),
I'd recommend you open a case with PSS here so we can collect debug data to
see what's going on. Troubleshooting such a blanket issue is not going to be
very possible within this forum.
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
Geoff Walker
2006-08-22 16:49:46 UTC
I also have the same problem, but my staging size is continually filling up
to the high watermark. I'm going to be increasing it to 10GB.

Where do I find the latest TCPIP.SYS?

--Geoff
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-22 18:00:55 UTC
Latest TCPIP comes with installing critical update MS06-032 (KB917953) -
unlike ordinary GDR security updates, this one also contains QFE fix code
for the problem with the version of TCP that came with Windows Server 2003
SP1.

Dan Boldo [MSFT]
2006-08-22 17:13:41 UTC
1. Make sure you have enough staging space
2. See if the report also warns you of excessive disk clean-up
3. Make sure you have the latest RPC hotfix installed (908521)

Thank you,

Dan Boldo
Program Manager
David Goldsmith
2006-08-24 19:38:02 UTC
I am having simular issue. I pre-staged about 80GB of data, and it showed
that initial replication had begun, it did show a few cleanups of the staging
folder (set for 16gb), but it never appeared to finish. Now, the folder is
not being replicated at all, and I have 11,000 files backlogged. It's been 4
days...what can I do to get this going?

RPC fix was installed...
David Goldsmith
2006-08-24 21:27:21 UTC
UPDATE:

2 members in the replication group, the primary member is replicating files
to the secondary member, but the secondary member is not replicating back to
the primary. 12000 backlogged files now, and showing a status of "waiting for
initial replication"