Ultrasound - cannot collect data from server
Curtis Fray
2006-09-13 15:29:41 UTC
Hi,

I've recently installed Ultrasound. My domain is Windows 2003 native. All
DCs/Data Servers are running Windows 2003 SP1. I have full domain admin
rights.

On one of the servers I've installed it on I'm getting an error saying
"Failed Ultrasound server updates - Cannot collect data from server"

I've gone through the three options under the "Resolution" section but they
all seem to check out.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other things I can try to get this
going? It works great on all the other servers!

Thanks,

Curtis.
Please reply to news group only. Thank you.
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2006-09-13 19:03:55 UTC
What is the full error message ? You could find it in the "Advanced" tab in
"Failed Ultrasound server updates".

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Curtis Fray
2006-09-13 21:40:58 UTC
Hi Maxim,

There seems to be three seperate reoccurring errors:

1)
Server ErrorID Description #RetryAttempts TimeSinceLastSuccessfulCollection
ServerID MemberID ReplicaSet UpdateID StartTime EndTime
domain1dc7-cpct 4 Cannot connect to WMI server
domain1dc7-cpct.domain1.bucksnet.nhs.uk using Namespace
Root\CIMV2\Applications\MicrosoftUltrasoundV1, user , authority
kerberos:rpcss/domain1dc7-cpct.domain1.bucksnet.nhs.uk (0x800706ba): The RPC
server is unavailable. (Sma 91 - 3 6 General Drive|!IT Replicated
Data|CPCTHomeFolders [domain1] 1436 9/13/2006 8:54:00 PM <not set>

2)
Server ErrorID Description #RetryAttempts TimeSinceLastSuccessfulCollection
ServerID MemberID ReplicaSet UpdateID StartTime EndTime
domain1dc7-cpct 4 GetComputerNameW returns too long (15) name (0x80004005):
Unspecified error (USL::CNtlmAuthenticationData::GetLocalMachineAccount
666) 91 - 3 8 General Drive|PCT|Lacemaker Court [domain1] 1436 9/13/2006
8:54:00 PM <not set>

3)
Server ErrorID Description #RetryAttempts TimeSinceLastSuccessfulCollection
ServerID MemberID ReplicaSet UpdateID StartTime EndTime
domain1dc7-cpct 4 Cannot connect to WMI server
domain1dc7-cpct.domain1.bucksnet.nhs.uk using Namespace
Root\CIMV2\Applications\MicrosoftUltrasoundV1, user , authority
NTLMDOMAIN:domain1.bucksnet.nhs.uk (0x800706ba): The RPC server is
unavailable. (SmartConnectToWbemServi 91 - 3 8 General Drive|PCT|Lacemaker
Court [domain1] 1436 9/13/2006 8:54:00 PM <not set>

Regards,

Curtis.

--
Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
What is the full error message ? You could find it in the "Advanced" tab
in "Failed Ultrasound server updates".
-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2006-09-13 23:37:16 UTC
Looks like there is no connectivity to domain1dc7-cpct. Could you check
whether it is pingable and whether there is firewall running on it ?

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Hi Maxim,
Curtis Fray
2006-09-14 08:15:35 UTC
Domain1DC7-CPCT is ping-able and communicating with the other DCs. AD is
replicating correctly to it, and if I place files on that server in the area
I have set to replicate (using DFS/FRS), they are successfully replicating
to other servers as expected. It can also ping the server that's running SQL
and vice-versa. The only thing I can't get running on it is Ultrasound.

If there are any other tests I can do or anything else you'd like me to look
up, please let me know.

Thanks,

Curtis.

Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2006-09-14 16:38:53 UTC
Let's check WMI connectivity. On the machine which is running Ultrasound
controller service run wbemtest.exe. Connect to \\domain1dc7-cpct\root\cimv2
and issue a simple query, i.e. "select * from win32_operatingsystem".

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
What is the full error message ? You could find it in the "Advanced"
tab in "Failed Ultrasound server updates".
-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Curtis Fray
2006-09-15 08:18:59 UTC
Hi Maxim,

I've just ran the test and didn't get any errors. I ran it both locally on
the problem server, and also on the SQL server (connecting to the problem
server).

I haven't used this tool before so if you need any specific info from it
please let me know. The info below I obtained by double clicking the query
result and then clicking "Show MTF":

=================================

instance of Win32_OperatingSystem
{
BootDevice = "\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2";
BuildNumber = "3790";
BuildType = "Multiprocessor Free";
Caption = "Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition";
CodeSet = "1252";
CountryCode = "44";
CreationClassName = "Win32_OperatingSystem";
CSCreationClassName = "Win32_ComputerSystem";
CSDVersion = "Service Pack 1";
CSName = "DOMAIN1DC7-CPCT";
CurrentTimeZone = 60;
DataExecutionPrevention_32BitApplications = TRUE;
DataExecutionPrevention_Available = TRUE;
DataExecutionPrevention_Drivers = TRUE;
DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy = 3;
Debug = FALSE;
Description = "";
Distributed = FALSE;
EncryptionLevel = 168;
ForegroundApplicationBoost = 2;
FreePhysicalMemory = "1531252";
FreeSpaceInPagingFiles = "2005280";
FreeVirtualMemory = "3578736";
InstallDate = "20060821122630.000000+060";
LargeSystemCache = 1;
LastBootUpTime = "20060914030314.125000+060";
LocalDateTime = "20060915090514.197000+060";
Locale = "0809";
Manufacturer = "Microsoft Corporation";
MaxNumberOfProcesses = 4294967295;
MaxProcessMemorySize = "2097024";
Name = "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard
Edition|C:\\WINDOWS|\\Device\\Harddisk0\\Partition2";
NumberOfLicensedUsers = 0;
NumberOfProcesses = 44;
NumberOfUsers = 2;
Organization = "NHS";
OSLanguage = 1033;
OSProductSuite = 272;
OSType = 18;
PAEEnabled = TRUE;
Primary = TRUE;
ProductType = 2;
QuantumLength = 0;
QuantumType = 0;
RegisteredUser = "NHS";
SerialNumber = "69712-640-4627286-45201";
ServicePackMajorVersion = 1;
ServicePackMinorVersion = 0;
SizeStoredInPagingFiles = "2096308";
Status = "OK";
SuiteMask = 272;
SystemDevice = "\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2";
SystemDirectory = "C:\\WINDOWS\\system32";
SystemDrive = "C:";
TotalVirtualMemorySize = "4039736";
TotalVisibleMemorySize = "2096308";
Version = "5.2.3790";
WindowsDirectory = "C:\\WINDOWS";
};
=================================

I won't be working over the weekend so if you get a chance to post a reply
today I'll follow it up on Monday.

Thanks for your ongoing help with this. It's much appreciated!

Regards,

Curtis.

Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2006-09-19 01:42:55 UTC
Interesting, looks like difference is whether WMI queried under machine
credentials (by service executed as a network service) or under some
interactive user credentials. Next step, I would suggest, would be to enable
audit of succeeded and failed logon/logoff on the domain1dc7-cpct. Then
trigger data collection by service and see what kind of records are shown in
the security event log on domain1dc7-cpct.

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Curtis Fray
2006-09-19 22:30:43 UTC
Hi,

I've enabled the auditing but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "trigger
data collection by service". Do you mean to just run the wbemtest.exe as
before on domain1dc7-cpct?

Regards,

Curtis.

Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2006-09-20 16:31:33 UTC
I mean trigger collection by Ultrasound service. To do that in Ultrasound UI
go to "Advanced" tab. Expand proper replication group in the tree control
and select "Members" view. Then right click on the domain1dc7-cpct and pick
collect data in the menu. This would schedule data collection for service to
pick up. Within few minutes service would poll database for work to do and
would try to contact domain1dc7-cpct machine.

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
What is the full error message ? You could find it in the
"Advanced" tab in "Failed Ultrasound server updates".
-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Curtis Fray

Curtis Fray
2006-09-21 21:48:23 UTC
As a matter of interest, is it worth me trying to uninstall and reinstall
Ultrasound onto domain1dc7-cpct? If you think that's worth a try, could you
tell me how to do this?

Thanks,

Curtis.

--
Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
What is the full error message ? You could find it in the
"Advanced" tab in "Failed Ultrasound server updates".
-- Maxim
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
newsgroup purposes only.
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2006-09-26 20:50:47 UTC
Could you do one more quick check, is there "Distributed COM users" group on
your DCs ? If you have this group and Ultrasound controller account is a
member of this group then reinstalling shouldn't change anything. We could
try it anyway, but I would be surprized if this would help :-)
Event logs. You mentioned that there are no failures, only successes. Among
those succeeded logons, are some of them for "NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON"
?

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Curtis Fray
2006-10-02 15:17:40 UTC
Hi Maxim,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had a look in the "Distributed COM users"
group and found neither Domain1DC7-CPCT nor Domain1DC2 (where SQL is
running) were members. I have now manually added these computer accounts.
(Looking at that group on the other computers in the replica sets, that's
how they're configured.) After doing this (a few days ago) it hasn't changed
the error popping up in UltraSound.

In answer to your other question, I can't see any ""NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS
LOGON" entries. Should there be some?

Thanks again for your on-going help with this!

Regards,

Curtis.

--
Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
What is the full error message ? You could find it in the
"Advanced" tab in "Failed Ultrasound server updates".
-- Maxim
confers no rights.
newsgroup purposes only.
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2006-10-02 20:25:36 UTC
SQL box account not required to be in this group, only controller service
one. Something strange is going on there, Ultrasound WMI provider deployment
must have been add this account to the group. Could you try to uninstall and
then install provider on this machine ? To do this go to Tools / Configure
Ultrasound menu.

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.
Curtis Fray
2006-10-03 21:05:13 UTC
Hi,

I have done as requested (a few hours ago) but still no luck I'm afraid.
I've just this minute checked and it's still displaying the same problem.

Regards,

Curtis.

--
Post by Curtis Fray
[...]
authority NTLMDOMAIN:domain1.bucksnet.nhs.uk (0x800706ba): The
Post by Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
What is the full error message ? You could find it in the
"Advanced" tab in "Failed Ultrasound server updates".
-- Maxim
confers no rights.
Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias
is for
newsgroup purposes only.
Maxim Stepin [MSFT]
2006-10-05 00:02:17 UTC
It looks that we have to do more work to understand the issue. Could you
contact me by e-mail, address would be the one used for newsgroup postings
without ".online" part.

-- Maxim
newsgroup purposes only.