Link to XP share fails
Ryan Melville
2004-08-31 22:29:29 UTC
Hi,

I could really use some help troubleshooting a DFS issue:

- Windows Server 2003 domain w/ XP Pro clients
- Created DFS root on server, added link to *local* shared folder, all is
well
- Added link to share on domain XP Pro client, trouble starts
- Domain Admin logged into server can navigate to \\server\testdfs and then
into the sub "folder" (link) and see the client share
- Domain Admin logged into a client gets "The network path was not found"
when drilling into link in attempt to see client share
- Domain Admin logged into client can access \\client\share just fine
directly
- Set permissions on client share to Everyone All to eliminate permissions
as the issue

I don't get why machines other than the server cannot drill into a link
pointing to a client. They can drill into links pointing to server local
shares and the server can drill into the link pointing to the client share.
Also, clients can access the other client's share directly so I don't
believe it's a permissions issue. There's only a problem when going through
the DFS link.

I rebooted the client, started/stopped the DFS service and set DfsDnsConfig
to 1 to no avail.

I'm out of troubleshooting options. If anyone has suggestions I would be
very appreciative!

Ryan

[MSDN "no-spam": ***@nospam.com]
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Ryan
Ryan Melville
2004-09-01 13:49:12 UTC
Hi Jill,

The XP clients are all fully patched up to and including XP SP2. I'm afraid
all clients are identical and I don't have any W2K clients readily
available.

But, I did discover something new and very interesting:

I added another link for an XP share on a *different* client. Client1 can
drill into the link targeting client2's share and client2 can drill into the
link targeting client1's share but neither can drill into the link targeting
its own share! The server and a third client can both drill into either
link.

Any known issue with an XP domain workstation not being able to drill into a
Windows 2003 Server DFS link that targets a shared folder on that XP domain
workstation?

Thanks for your assistance!

Ryan
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Ryan, what Service Pack (if any) are your XP clients running? Do you have a
W2K client you can try this with?
Hi,
Ryan
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2004-09-01 16:36:20 UTC
Hi Ryan,

A security change was implemented in XPSP2 that prevents a "loopback"
referral--i.e., a referral that refers to the client that requested it.
Using a client as a link target is not a common scenario, though it does
work (not counting the XPSP2 "loopback" exception). This change doesn't
affect W2K3 server and you should not have any problems when clients access
links that point to servers (or to different clients).

There is a registry value you can change in the client registry to allow
loopbacks. The registry value is "EnableDfsLoopbackTargets" and is a
REG_DWORD . It is under the key
HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Mup/Parameters. The default value is
to disable loopback targets in XP SP2.

Typically these reg values have either a 1 or a 0 value, 1 usually means
enabled and 0 means disabled. So I'm assuming if you set the DWORD to 1,
you'll enable loopbacks. If this doesn't work, try 0. (Sorry I'm a little
unsure about this.)
Post by Ryan Melville
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
W2K client you can try this with?
Hi,
Ryan
c***@just1coder
2004-09-01 17:21:34 UTC
Is DFS/RFS a good solution for file replication between NLB web servers?

What if one share is offline does the other take over? Are changes to
that share then replicated back ?

[reverse the email to reply]
j***@yahoo.ca
2004-09-01 17:23:40 UTC

[reverse the email to reply]
j***@yahoo.ca
2004-09-01 17:23:27 UTC

[reverse the email to reply]
Ryan Melville
2004-09-01 18:38:42 UTC
Hi Jill,

Great find. This appears to be the issue. After creating/setting that
registry value and rebooting the client the issue is resolved.

I agree that this is not a common scenario. In our case, we are temporarily
storing a large amount of non-critical data on an unused workstation until
the budget allows for an additional NAS purchase. Seemed that DFS is the
way to go so that the data can be moved to the NAS later without affecting
any clients.

Since for us this is just for a workstation or two we can manually manage
the necessary registry setting.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan
Post by Ryan Melville
Windows 2003 Server DFS link that targets a shared folder on that XP
domain
Post by Ryan Melville
workstation?
Thanks for your assistance!
Ryan
Post by Ryan Melville
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
W2K client you can try this with?
Hi,
Post by Ryan Melville
Post by Ryan Melville
Post by Ryan Melville
Post by Ryan Melville
to 1 to no avail.
I'm out of troubleshooting options. If anyone has suggestions I would
be
Post by Ryan Melville
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Post by Ryan Melville