DFS with FRS File Locking
Joe Flynn
2004-10-07 19:09:05 UTC
I am trying to setup DFS between 2 locations. My goal is to map the DFS path
for the user's in both locations. My problem is that users can access the
same file at the same time in both locations. Is there a way to setup file
locking through DFS. Right now if a user edits a file in the south and
another user edits the file in the east the last person to save the file is
what's changed in file. I thought with DFS it woul dbe able to detect when a
file is open.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2004-10-07 20:52:05 UTC
DFS can't control file locks, unfortunately, nor can FRS. What you could do
is disable DFS referrals to one of the servers so that users always contact
the other server. This is sort of like having a primary server (with
referrals enabled) and a backup server (with referrals disabled). If the
primary server is unavailable, you could enable referrals to the backup
server. Is this something that would work for you?
file is open.
Bryce Stenberg
2004-10-07 23:58:33 UTC
Hi Jill,

(just jumping in on this thread...)
I have been trying to do this enable/disable referrals from scripting/batch
file/etc so that I can run something continually to check if the other
server is 'up', if not this server should enable it's referral.
All I could find to work programatically was deleting or recreating the
'folder share' pointed to by the dfs referral to force people to use only
one server at a time.
Do you know of a way to enable or disable referrals other than via the
GUI?

Regards, Bryce Stenberg.
file is open.
Mike Frederick
2004-10-08 14:36:23 UTC
I'll try to carefully answer this...

1) I believe you may be able to do this with the newer WMI provided in
Win2003 Server.
2) You could certainly do this and much more with StorageX from Nuview
(www.nuview.com)

Mike Frederick
file is open.
Bryce Stenberg
2004-10-13 00:54:34 UTC
Thanks Mike - I'll investigate the WMI. (I tried to check out your web site
but couldn't see detail or pricing or anything immediately relevant without
having to register - hate that).

Regards, Bryce.
Post by Joe Flynn
I am trying to setup DFS between 2 locations. My goal is to map the
DFS
Post by Bryce Stenberg
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
path
Post by Joe Flynn
locking through DFS. Right now if a user edits a file in the south and
another user edits the file in the east the last person to save the
file
Post by Bryce Stenberg
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
is
file is open.
Joe Flynn
2004-10-08 00:11:03 UTC
Jill

I have 2 locations that are across a WAN. Unfortunately the WAN is on the
slower side. The department I am doing this for is 24/7 department and all
user's access the share. I hate to see the user's in the south access large
files over the WAN. Do you know of a 3rd party solution for replication and
file locking
Post by Joe Flynn
what's changed in file. I thought with DFS it woul dbe able to detect
when a
Post by Joe Flynn
file is open.