DFS Consolidation Root Wizard question
Cakeholes
2005-10-19 20:47:53 UTC
I'm in the planning stages of replacing my W2K server with a new W2K3 Server
and have been researching the FSMT and DFSConolidate.exe tools to migrate my
data with minimal disruption. My question comes from the FSMT documentation
where it says that "the DFS root server cannot be a domain controller". My
new server is not a DC yet but it will be once the upgrade is complete. I
then plan on rebuilding my old server and installing W2K3 Server down the
road.

Can I use the FSMT and DFSConsolidate.exe tools to migrate my data etc. and
then when its complete, promote the new server to a DC? Any advice on this
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
Cakeholes
2005-10-19 23:01:05 UTC
Just to clarify....my new W2K3 server has to be a DC at some point as I plan
on phasing out my existing 2 W2K Servers....the primary one will be
resurrected at a later date to become a W2K3 Server.....but costs and time
will prohibit this from happening for awhile. So for the purposes of this
migration the new server will be doing everything.

Kevin
Kevin
Paul Williams [MVP]
2005-10-23 13:33:59 UTC
Post by Cakeholes
Can I use the FSMT and DFSConsolidate.exe tools to migrate my data etc. and
then when its complete, promote the new server to a DC? Any advice on this
would be greatly appreciated.

I would say yes. There are many people with DFS root replicas on DCs. Run
with it and promote later.
--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-10-24 18:02:10 UTC
Actually, with the consolidation roots, I'm almost certain that they are not
supported on DCs, which is why the Help stated this explicitly. However, I
don't recall the exact reason why this isn't supported. I'll ask around and
get back to you.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-10-24 20:28:07 UTC
OK, I've double-checked, and the definitive answer is that DCs that host
consolidation roots will ignore the registry keys associated with these
roots; the result is that the DFS consolidation root will not work once the
server is promoted to a DC. If you're using regular roots (not consolidation
roots), they will work find on the DC.
Kevin Coles
2005-10-24 21:19:41 UTC
Thanks for the definitive answer Jill.... I'm actually now considering
trying to migrate the network by renaming the new server to the old server's
name. I've seen a few posts on this method and have made a few of my own on
the migration group to help me accomplish this. Looks like the sticking
point though may be that I can only rename a DC if the domain is 2003 only.
So I may try to do the file share migrations etc while it's still a member
server and demote the old server and do all the renaming on member servers.
My W2K role master will still be online so I can continue on.....once all
the renaming is done I will then promote it to a DC....so once I confirm a
few more things I think I will take this route.

Thanks again,

Kevin Coles
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]