Confused ! Replication works, but some files seems to diappear, but are still there
Stefan Wächter
2006-06-01 09:58:08 UTC
Hi,

we have two servers running (w2k and w2k3) and start a couple of weeks ago
with dfs and replication. The first time it seems to work. After a while the
users told me that the files, which they saved the day before were
disappeared.
When I searched for the files I found them in the directory that shares dfs
by the w2k3 server, but not in the dfs sharing directory by the w2k server.
So the problem with the disappearing files happens always to users, who
randomly were logged on in the morning on the w2k server. A first workaround
was to start the explorer as administrator, click the right mouse button on
the dfs directory and make the w2k3 server (shared directory) ACTIVE (tab
DFS).
Immediately after this action my users are able to work with all their
files.

I have no explanation for this ! The replication service works. I make some
tests, save data as admin, as user, with different active dfs shared
directories. Observe the replication . Seems always ok, the files were
replicated in both shared directories....but at the next morning a few users
had the same problem again.
Logoff and login doesn't cause this problem. It happens only after a
complete reboot of the client computers.

Some ideas ?

Cheers

Stefan
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-06-05 18:56:33 UTC
Hi Stefan,

What types of files aren't replicating?

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Stefan
Stefan Wächter
2006-06-06 06:23:27 UTC
Hi Jill,

all types of files. Mainly files generated by a CAD program, but this is
because this is our core bussiness. It happens to other files, for example
word documents, too.
--
Mit freundlichem Gruß

Stefan Wächter

Teccon GmbH & Co. KG
Niederlassung Kiel

Westring 453/454
24118 Kiel

T.: +49-431-78056-0
F.: +49-431-78056-16

Verwaltung: ***@Teccon.de
Konstruktion: ***@Teccon-KI.de
Internet: http://www.teccon.de/
Stefan
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-06-07 17:57:39 UTC
Are you saying that files are deleted from both servers, or that certain
files are not replicated from one server to the other and thus don't appear
on the other server?

Could it possibly be due to this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823291/en-us

Stefan
Stefan Wächter
2006-06-08 07:02:31 UTC
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Are you saying that files are deleted from both servers,
No
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
or that certain files are not replicated from one server to the other and
thus don't appear on the other server?
Yes, I 'll try to explain again:

user A save his data at the dfs, provided by the w2k3 server and shut down
his computer

b:\ourdfs\userA\myfile

Next day:

user A reboot his computer, randomly active dfs is now provided by the w2k
server

b:\ourdfs\userA\ older files are there but not that one the day
before.

If you look now directly on the servers, you will find

\\w2k3\ourdfs\userA\myfile

\\w2k\ourdfs\userA\

It seems, that the replication will not work properly, but when I try to
retrace that
and save a few files on w2k3 active dfs, I found these files seconds later
in the right directory
of the w2k server and I can see these files independent of the active dfs
server.
I have no explanation for that .
Stefan
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-06-08 17:42:28 UTC
Hi Stefan,

It is unusual that individual files aren't replicating. The first thing that
comes to mind is that the file is being held open, and therefore not
replicated. However, if the client computer is rebooted, the handles should
be closed to the file, allowing it to replicate. When certain files don't
replicate, we usually ask whether there are any filters in place that
prevent files with certain extensions from replicating. You said they are
CAD files and sometimes also Word files, so I don't think would have .tmp or
.bak extensions. The other more subtle filter we check for is the temporary
attribute, which you can see by using the "fsutil usn readdata" command on
the file (the file will show File Attributes : 0x120 if it has the
temporary attribute set). Could the files also be marked as encrypted by
EFS? This is another type of file that FRS won't replicate.

Have you tried making changes to the non-replicating files to see if they
replicate after a change is made?