DFS after changing hostname
Tony
2009-03-09 02:07:06 UTC
After changing the hostname of a root target, the metadata in DFS does not
update automatically. So now I have an outdated namespace server point to
the old hostname and several DFS links with outdated folder target inside.
How to fixed this without starting the file sync. all over again?
Isaac Oben [MCITP:EA, MCSE]
2009-03-09 03:21:12 UTC
Hello Tony,
To better understand your situation and environment, please give some detail
specifics.
Isaac
Tony
2009-03-09 06:22:01 UTC
Ok, my DFS root looks like this right now \\mydomain\PUBLIC and has 6 root
targets say host1 to host6. So \\mydomain\PUBLIC has root targets looks like
this

root: \\mydomain\PUBLIC
root target: \\host1\PUBLIC
root target: \\host2\PUBLIC
root target: \\host3\PUBLIC
root target: \\host4\PUBLIC
root target: \\host5\PUBLIC
root target: \\host6\PUBLIC

Under \mydomain\PUBLIC I have other links with replication setup and running
just fine. Each links also has 6 target. Something looks like this

link: \mydomain\PUBLIC\A
target: \\host1\A
target: \\host2\A
target: \\host3\A
target: \\host4\A
target: \\host5\A
target: \\host6\A

For some reason I need to change the hostname host6 to host7. After done
this, root target and link target for host6 still pointing to host6 rather
than host7. So the referral does not work any more when users need to refer
to the new host.
Isaac Oben [MCITP:EA, MCSE]
2009-03-09 08:08:36 UTC
Tony,
Quick question, when yo say you changed the hostname, did you renamed host6
to host7 or you took host6 out and have host7 with new ip etc. If you
completely took host6 out, then you must forcefully removed it as well from
dfs, make sure it is not found in the root etc. You can do this by running
dfsutil at command prompt.
dfsutil.exe /remftroot /server:host6 /share:Public (this will just remove
everything regarding host6 from dfs but will not delete any of your data)
Tony
Isaac Oben [MCITP:EA, MCSE]
2009-03-09 09:47:03 UTC
Tony,

My suggestions:
On the server side:
Do a net share and delete or unshare all folders pertaining to former host6
that you don't need.
Try doing
dfsutil.exe /unmapftroot /Root:domain.com /Server:host6 /share:public
dfsutil.exe /clean /server:host6 /share:public
and
On the Client side (users machine), I suggest you run dfsutil and flush the
local cached. Or they should reboot or just wait for replication to go
through

dfsutil.exe /PktFlush
dfsutil.exe /PurgeMupCache

Isaac
Tony
2009-03-09 10:24:00 UTC
Hi Isaac,

I successfully ran the first dfsutil command. The second dfsutil command
returned with the following error

System error 168 has occurred.
Element not found.

Then I try to add host7 as a new root target but failed. The server said
host7 is already a DFS root.
Mark Parris [ADUG]
2009-03-09 16:36:33 UTC
Are you running Windows Server 2000?