Connecting to DFS shares over VPN
John Collins
2005-02-08 20:21:05 UTC
I run a DFS stand alone root on a member server in our AD. It is Win2K3
Enterprise. When my users are at home on a home PC and connect via VPN to
our network they have problems connecting to the DFS folders.

If they map a drive (using their home domain credentials) to the DFS root
(\\server\DFSRootFolder) they can connect but cannot click (browse) into the
next
level of folders. If they map the drive to the full path of
where they want to go (\\server\DFSRootFolder\NextFolder\FinalFolder ) it
does not work either.

Is this an issue with DFS? Can it be fixed so they can browse or click
through to the folders they want to get at?

Regards,

John
Dan Lovinger [MSFT]
2005-02-08 22:20:19 UTC
DFS is not supported from XP Home Edition. It requires XP Professional.
--
Dan Lovinger
Microsoft Corporation
John
John Collins
2005-02-10 19:21:53 UTC
Yes, it's \\server as this is not the domains DFS root but a stand alone
root. I will check the behavior with our domain root, but I suspect it will
be the same.

All users are using XP Pro from home or elsewhere. Mostly my users are
taking their corporate laptop on the road, making a VPN connection from
wherever, then trying to get to the resources.

JCC
John
Dan Lovinger [MSFT]
2005-02-08 21:55:08 UTC
Can you confirm that its \\server and not \\domain ?
--
Dan Lovinger
Microsoft Corporation
John
John Collins

John
Bob Williamson
2005-02-09 23:10:57 UTC
I have seen that the DFS tree (domain tree in my case) tends to not show for
a little bit after my users login to the VPN (on ISA server). After my
folks check their email etc, it seems to clear up.

Hope that helps,
Bob