Explorer Hangs when DFS link is unavailable.
Jeremy_
2006-08-13 03:34:01 UTC
Since deploying DFS, I've noticed that explorer hangs when a mapped drive to
a dfs linke is unavailable. I understand that all of the site-settings and
replication members must be properly configured in order to make this work,
but I think that a module must exist in the client operating system that
prevents explorer.exe from taking down the o/s.

It's apperent that a small configuration error can 'take an entire network
down' from the user's point of view.

I know this is more of a client side suggestion, but it relates to dfs and
that's why i'm posting it here. I'm assuming that the resolution would
probably require some major reworking of explorer.exe - otherwise there would
be a hotfix already.

Please fix this for Windows XP SP2

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?mid=f605e4c8-812b-4068-8906-c242bec01a3b&dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-14 20:45:53 UTC
Are the shares configured for offline file caching, without the users
actually synchronizing files? I.e. does explore actually hang (and have to
be task-ended and restarted) or does it merely show no data?
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

All postings on this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confer no rights.
For more information please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx to find terms of use.
Dave Mills
2006-08-15 06:17:26 UTC
My experience is that it has quite long timeouts. While waiting to timeout
Explorer does no (or almost no) other processing. If the folders are set for
Offline then you get in to the offline content and it is very difficult to get
online again (manual sync is the only way I know short of logging off)

Offline folders need to be more like Outlook OST file which do not cause such
distress for the users.

There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Jeremy_
2006-08-19 09:39:01 UTC
All shares have the default setting for offline files (i.e. Only user
specified). After some troubleshooting, it seems as though the "Home" drive
is causing most of the grief. When I log on and my home drive is over a VPN
connection, it takes 5 minutes to log on.
After being logged on, if I try to open windows explorer or my computer, the
computer hangs for a few minutes with nothing displaying in the explorer
window.

If I disconnect the home drive, the performance is much better overall.

As a side question...Does the DFS client have to poll all of the domain
controllers that it has site links to?
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-21 13:36:38 UTC
It's possible there is a startup application causing this issue, now that
you describe disconnecting the home drive as speeding things up.

Try testing out this change to work around this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306850/en-us (SafeDllSearchMode)

Jeremy_
2006-08-22 02:28:06 UTC
O.K. thanks. I will try that. It seems though that this symptom has only
arose since deploying via dfs. I've never seen these symptoms before and now
they are system wide. Overall explorer browsing performance is severely
degraded since deploying dfs. Even users that don't have home drives are
seeing this.

I have some other problems now also. I have some engineering users that are
connecting to a DFS share and whenever they close solidworks files, their
explorer 'hangs' for several seconds to several minutes. It appears as though
the application is having problems cleaning up the ~.* file associated with
their working files.

As long as they have a drive mapping to a DFS link, the symptoms are the
same wether they open files via \\servername\share or
\\domainname\target\share
If I disconnect the mapped drive pointing to the dfs link, the symptoms
disappear.
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2006-08-22 15:10:03 UTC
I thought you said that if you disconnected home drives, performance was
better?

I have nothing to add to your solidworks app - do other apps have the same
issue? You should speak to your vendor about that, they may have a solution.

Jeremy_
2007-02-06 20:24:01 UTC
Well it took me a long time to get back to you on this, but the fix you
suggested did have an effect on some of the symptoms but did not actually fix
the issue.

If you want to simulate these symptoms, please try the following:

1.)Create a home drive mapping to a dfs share in ADUC for a particular user
(i.e. \\domainname.local\root\Users\%username%)

2.) Log on to a Windows XP workstation with that user and ensure the home
drive is mapped to the dfs link properly.

3.) Remove the network connectivity between the xp workstation to the User's
DFS link.

4.) Try to open "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer".

You should notice that the windows operating system will hang for several
minutes every time you try to browse the file system.

Because the "home" drive is located on a DFS link, it does not know how to
go to a 'disconnected' state. The operating system therefore seems to think
that it is a valid drive and tries to re-establish the 'mount point'
continuousely.
Dave Mills
2007-02-14 00:08:27 UTC
I think you may be correct as I have only a few users with home folders on DFS.
These users (including me) can become almost totally non-operational if there is
a DFS resolution issue. One thing I noticed is that this seems much worse if the
FQDN is used for the mapping and better if a NetBIOS name is used.
MCMC
2007-01-20 21:44:00 UTC
Did you ever find resolution to this problem? I am experiencing an issue with
DFS and intermittent slowness and disconnects and I am interested in what if
anything you did to resolve your issue.
--
Marc Cima
Jeremy_
2007-06-05 16:37:01 UTC
No. I have not found a resolution to the problem.

I think a lot of the problem relates to the 'chatiness' of smb/cifs in
windows xp. Chattiness is multiplied by the addition of DFS namespaces.
Therefore, if you have any latency between your dfs servers then it's not
going to work very well at all unless you don't have any roaming users and
all of your links are on the local LAN (which defeats the purpose of DFS).

DFS=Nice Idea but SMB1.0 is too chatty to make it do what is advertised and
the lack of file locking capabilies renders it quite useless for anything I
would ever need it for. Perhaps with Vista and SMB2.0 it may work (sometimes
these things take 10 years).