File repliaction Service cannot replicate
CF
2006-12-05 21:29:05 UTC
I've recently built a new 2003 server with all of the latest updates. I've
had the error below three times now in the event log and despite searching
the Net I can't seem to find a solution. From what I've read I should leave
the FRS service enabled even though this is the only server on the domain.
I've run DCDiag and Netdiag and neither show any problems.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13539
Date: 5/12/2006
Time: 6:39:53 p.m.
User: N/A
Computer: SVR1
The File Replication Service cannot replicate c:\windows\sysvol\domain
because the pathname of the replicated directory is not the fully qualified
pathname of an existing, accessible local directory.

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]
2006-12-05 21:44:34 UTC
have you seen:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=13539&eventno=355&source=NtFrs&phase=1
--
Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG (WEB-BASED)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
BLOG (RSS-FEEDS)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/rss.aspx
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!
CF
2006-12-05 23:18:59 UTC
Hi, thanks for your response. I've looked at that site. It doesn't seem to
apply to my situation. The first solution talks about a situation where the
DFS replicas were moved and there are two servers involved. Mine are in the
default location as this is a new build and I only have the one server. The
other solution I had a little trouble understanding but seems to be talking
about removing the DFS. I don't think this is what I want to do.

2006-12-06 00:21:19 UTC
I don't see 13539 errors very often. Since this is a single DC, then FRS
wouldn't be replicating with any other DC, correct? One hint that I found
for this error is that the sysvol folder structure and junctions weren't
configured correctly--like somehow they got messed up and needed to be
fixed. This structure is described in the "How FRS Works" section of the FRS
Technical Reference (at www.microsoft.com/frs), but this could be a wild
goose chase.

I wish I had a better answer for you. My FRS memory is rusty.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
CF
2006-12-06 01:24:36 UTC
Hi, yes that's correct there is no replication with any other DC. I've
downloaded and run FRSDiag from the site you referred me to and got these
errors:

ERROR: Replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is running low on
free disk space!
"c:\windows\sysvol\staging\domain" only has 0 KB of free space!
ERROR: Junction Point missing on "c:\windows\sysvol\sysvol"
ERROR: Junction Point missing on "c:\windows\sysvol\staging areas"
......... failed 3

Checking for errors in debug logs ...
ERROR on NtFrs_0004.log : "ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION(For more information see
KB.822300, KB.815473, and KB.823230)" :
<FrsBuildVolSerialNumberToDriveTable:2144: 1481: S1: 19:40:06> WARN -
GetvolumeInformation for C:\; ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
ERROR on NtFrs_0004.log : "ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION(For more information see
KB.822300, KB.815473, and KB.823230)" :
<FrsBuildVolSerialNumberToDriveTable:2144: 1481: S1: 19:45:06> WARN -
GetvolumeInformation for c:\; ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
ERROR on NtFrs_0004.log : "ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION(For more information see
KB.822300, KB.815473, and KB.823230)" :
<FrsBuildVolSerialNumberToDriveTable:2144: 1481: S1: 19:45:07> WARN -
GetvolumeInformation for C:\; ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
Found 32 ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION error(s)! Latest ones (up to 3) listed
above
......... failed with 32 error entries

The c drive has heaps of free space so I don't understand why I'm getting
the zero free error. Is the sharing violation linked to this error or do I
have two issues to fix?
2006-12-06 20:46:28 UTC
Post by CF
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Post by CF
ERROR: Junction Point missing on "c:\windows\sysvol\sysvol"
ERROR: Junction Point missing on "c:\windows\sysvol\staging areas"
this says it all...

linkd c:\windows\sysvol\sysvol\YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
linkd c:\windows\sysvol\staging areas\YOUR-DOMAIN.COM

both of the commands above should list to what directory the above paths are
linked...

if it does not then execute the commands below for the path that is not
linked (first make sure ALL paths exist!)

linkd c:\windows\sysvol\sysvol\YOUR-DOMAIN.COM c:\windows\sysvol\Domain
linkd c:\windows\sysvol\staging areas\YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
c:\windows\sysvol\Staging\Domain

replace YOUR-DOMAIN.COM with the actual FQDN of your domain

restart FRS: NET STOP NTFRS & NET START NTFRS

try this first, then execute FRSDIAG again
Post by CF
Checking for errors in debug logs ...
ERROR on NtFrs_0004.log : "ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION(For more information
go and look at the KBs mentioned in the error

CF
2006-12-07 00:11:40 UTC
Hi, thanks for the response.

Neither of the paths were linked and all of the paths exist.

The first command worked fine and a subsequent check indicates that its now
linked as it should be.

The second command brings up the linkd help. I've tried this a few times
checking for typos but can't seem to get it to work. I notice that the
Domain folder is hidden - could this be the issue? (I have been able to
navigate into this folder from the cmd window ok)

Thanks

CF
2006-12-08 02:18:32 UTC
OK, solved it.

The second command didn't like the space in "staging areas" and was taking
this as a delimiter for the next parameter. I used the short name instead
and the links are now correctly configured.

Thanks for your help.