Can XP shares be used as DFS links / replication points?
Ed Flecko
2005-10-28 17:32:05 UTC
Hi folks,
I have plenty of space on several XP boxes in my domain, and would like to
use them as DFS replication points. Can shared folders on these boxes be used
for DFS file replication? I can't seem to get DFS to allow that. Do DFS
replication points HAVE to reside on 2003 Server boxes???

Thank you,
Ed
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Ed
Ed Flecko
2005-10-28 22:42:02 UTC
Hi Jill,
Actually, let me be perfectly clear what I'm trying to do. I have (2) W2003
servers, and (2) XP boxes. I have set up DFS replication on the servers, I'm
just hoping to be able to have the servers replicate the shares to the XP
boxes...I don't really care if the XP boxes replicate back to the servers.
It's just a "one-way" street you might say. The XP boxes are only for storage.

Ed
Thank you, Jill.
O.K., that's what I thought...and that's what I'm trying to do. :-)
Can you tell me the steps I'd need to do, because I know how to set up DFS
(and have already done so), I'm just having difficulty using the XP shares as
the replication store (you might say).
Thank you,
Ed
Ed
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-10-31 17:32:50 UTC
Hi Ed,

Unfortunately there is no way to make the XP boxes replicate using FRS. The
service isn't available in Windows XP.
Ed
m***@gmail.com
2005-11-05 16:35:05 UTC
I realize this is the FRS for DFS group, but will ask my question in
hopes it is realated enough with the current topic! I read above that
you can use a Windows XP client as a DFS link target if you do not use
FRS. I have two DFS links that point to folders on the Windows 2003
server that runs DFS and one DFS link that points to a Windows XP
client folder. I am having permission errors when accessing the XP
linked folder.

Is there certain permissions that should be assigned to the folder on
the WinXP target so that users can get to the share? Does the DFS link
point the user to the share so that the current user's permissions are
used for the share?

I appologize if this is off topic, but appreciate any help you can
give.

Thanks,

-Michael
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-11-07 16:55:55 UTC
DFS itself doesn't enforce permissions--it simply provides a referral that
directs the client to a UNC path. With multiple targets, it's important to
keep the permissions in sync so that users have a consistent experience. As
far as XP goes, I'm not aware of any fundamental differences in permissions,
either NTFS or shared folder permissions. Do you both of these set
identically on your servers and XP clients? The one thing that does come to
mind is that XP has a limit to the number of concurrent connections--I don't
recall the exact number but it's something like 5 or 10. Is it possible that
your XP client already has the max # of users connected?
-Michael
Ed Flecko