the following error occurred while creating DFS root on server server01: The request is not supported
lv ming tong
2005-04-18 02:46:18 UTC
I want replicate following directory via DFS
server01 c:\test01 <---> server02 c:\test01
server01 d:\test02 <---> server02 d:\test02
server01 e:\test03 <---> server02 e:\test03

I creat one DFS root in server01 for test01,
When i creat DFS root for test02,
return error: the following error occurred while creating DFS root in server
server01: The request is not supported.

I can create DFS root for test02 in server02 successfully,
but how can i creat DFS root for test03?

only one server can only create one DFS root, is it true?
Glenn L
2005-04-18 06:29:08 UTC
Only one DFS root per server is supported unless you are running W2K3
enterprise edition.
Also, it is not recommended to enable FRS replication of the DFS root.

What you should do is create one DFS root.
Then have three links.
test1
test2
test3

Each link would have 2 link targets.
e.g.
link test1
link target \\server01\test1
link target \\server02\test1
--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security
newsaint
2005-07-11 13:27:04 UTC
I have a slightly different problem in that I set up a test dfs domain root
on server 1 then removed it. When setting up the live dfs root servers 2 and
3 came online as targets just fine and replication is taking place. When
attempting to add server 1 to the root I get the error indicating the test
dfs is still on this server. What are the resistry entries in play on this
unit that could be in conflict? Thanks, Mike
Paul Williams [MVP]
2005-07-12 11:43:13 UTC
There's not registry entries; there's objects and attributes in AD.

Install the support tools and fire up ADSIEdit.msc.

Drill down to the location of the server in question and expand the
container that represents the computer object. There's a child object of
the type nTFRSSubscriber. Note down the name (of the one that isn't Domain
System Volume) and then delete the nTFRSSubscriber object and drill down to
the following location:

CN=File Replication Service, CN=System, DC=domain-name, DC=com

Expand the child object (the nTFRSReplicaSet) and see if there's an
nTFRSMember object representing the server in question. If there is, delete
it. Then try adding your server again. [1]

---
[1] Take a backup first. It's been ages since I've meddled in here, so
might have forgotten something <g>
--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
http://www.msresource.net | http://forums.msresource.net
newsaint
2005-07-13 20:14:03 UTC
Thanks for the response, I had checked the AD and it wasn't in error there. I
found the errent entries in the dfs/ntfrs registry keys on the first test
server and removed them, now they all allow me to add and remove the root
correctly. In the reply post they suggest links instead of targets, that
doesn't remove the visibilty of the \\servername from the network. I was
trying to set up a transparent directory tree that doesn't connect to
\\servername\share but \\domain\share. I also wanted some fault tolerance on
the back side since these servers are all around 5 years old...hey it's a
church school. I now have the 3 set up as targets and my domain root does
replicate to the 3 servers with no problem using a hub spoke repl. method. I
understand that FRS wasn't designed for a large file set but I feel the
network speed and the less than 100 users shold not overwhelme this setup. It
also is allowing 1 unit to backup the complete DFS rather than 3 separate
backup systems, a big plus and I'm keeping an eye on disk space so as not to
overrun the roots smallest server (14 GB). My only other question is
bandwidth throtling other traffic so as to alow this trafic to alwarys pass,
does 2003 do this in any way? Thanks again. Mike
Paul Williams [MVP]
2005-07-20 20:37:45 UTC
My only other question is bandwidth throtling other traffic so as to alow
this trafic to alwarys pass, does 2003 do this in any way?
Off the top of my head, no. But I'm probably wrong! You might want to look
at QoS in case...