DFS Root Removal
NDC
2006-01-09 10:41:03 UTC
DFS root removal, I've been drawn into looking at DFS root, that apparently
had been deleted...
When creating a new root, attempts to configure replication would fail.
The event log reported FRS issue to be listed, but never did.
Using frsdiag issues were found with the frssubscriber, upon further
investigation the orginal root which had been "ruined" somehow, was found
using ADSI inside of the CN=Domain,CN=Domain Controllers,CN=Server,CN=NTFRS
Subsriptions CN=DFS Volumes. Now the problem that has occured, is I've
removed the entries under DFS volumnes and inside of the registry, which has
fixed the event log reports, removed FRSDIAG's reports of subscriber issues,
but still can't configure replication.
Inside of ADSI I do still have a CN=DFS volumes, is it safe to remove?

If there a definitive method for complete stripping of DFS to achieve
"steady state" for Windows 2003 Native mode.
Jabez Gan [MVP]
2006-01-09 10:53:06 UTC
Please do a force deletion of DFS Configuration:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q224384
--
Jabez Gan [MVP]
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server
NDC
2006-01-09 12:43:02 UTC
Hi jabez, thanks for the reply. I've already gone through that one,do you
know if their is a newer article for Windows 2003.
my data isn't present inside of AD users and computers, the only thing I
have left is:
CN=DFS Volumes CNF:5c78082a-1b2d-497a-88b3-01456d639086, CN=NTFRS
Subscriptions,CN=(ServerName),OU=Domain Contollers.
Do i need to delete the DFS Volumnes key?
Jabez Gan [MVP]
2006-01-09 16:36:39 UTC
You should be able to remove that. But before that, please repro the problem
and open up Event Viewer and copy/paste the exact error that you are
receiving there over here.

Next, remove it the CN=DFS. Reboot Server and try to see if you can create a
DFS-R. If you still cant, please use the frsdiag and see if it can fix the
problem. Lastly, check event viewer and give me the latest error.

:)
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-25 00:39:16 UTC
Is there a documented (or undocumented, but one that works) solution to
this one ?
I am facing the same problem, we had DFS/FRS working until I renamed
the server and readded it to domain. Now I am not able to get to the
DFS root.

When I create a new one, am unable to configure replication between two
shares as it says there is already replication configured between these
two replica sets.

Microsoft KnowledgeBase article 224383 does not help either, probably
because I am on Windows 2003Deleting the DFS roots from ADSIEedit.msc
only makes it reappear.

How do I get rid of these Ghost replica sets ?
Jabez Gan [MVP]
2006-01-25 03:48:59 UTC
That article does apply for Win2003, since some users were able to remove
the ghost replica sets on Win2003.

Have you double checked that you have stop DFS service before deleting? Also
after deleting from the registry, then do a:

From the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, click Advanced
Features on the View menu. Open the DFS-Configuration container under the
System folder. Delete the DFS root in the right pane.

(Using ADSIEDIT.MSC is an alternative. But since you said the DFS root kept
coming back, try using the above method).