Move Dfs Root Hosting To Another Server
Gary
2006-08-15 19:37:02 UTC
I have a W2K Domain Controller hosting a domain based Dfs root structure. I
want to move the hosting of the Dfs root to another server. I am unable to
find any specific documentation on how to perform this function. Our Dfs
structure is fairly extensive with a large number of links and root replica's
and I need to minimize the downtime.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-08-15 19:55:53 UTC
The easiest way would be to add the new server as a root server, which will
automatically create the DFS structure, then decomission your DC. This won't
replicate any data you happen to be store in the root, though.

There is also a way to use Dfsutil to export and import the namespace, but
adding a server as a root server should accomplish the same goal.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Gary
2006-08-16 18:04:03 UTC
Jill thanks for your response and you have pointed me in a direction that I
was not thinking about. Here is a little more info about our Dfs structure
and what I think should happen based on your first answer below. First, we
currently have 70+ Root Replica's (root targets) in our hierarchy. Second,
we use a customized replication topology where the DC I mentioned in the
orginal post is the hub (source) of all root information. Here's the plan

As suggested, add another Root Replica (root target) that is my new server
that will replace the DC.

Edit each custom replication connection to use the new server as the source.

Delete the DC as a Root Replica and dcpromo.

Any thoughts?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-08-16 19:23:23 UTC
Hi Gary,

This sounds like a good plan. I want to point out, though, that there is no
need to replicate the roots of a namespace for redundancy--DFS will create
its own structures on each server as needed. On the other hand, if you're
storing data in the root itself, then you would need to use replication to
keep it in sync. We usually advise against storing data in the root (and
enabling replication) in favor of storing data in link targets and
replicating those. However, there's no need to un-do what you've done.

Also,when you add a new server to replication, you can't specify it as
"master." The concept of "initial master" only applies when you first set up
replication. After that, FRS behaves as a multimaster replicator where any
server can generate changes.

Gary
2006-08-17 14:17:02 UTC
Thanks Jill, however, you have now confused me a bit. My understanding is
that you do need multiple root targets for a domain root should the host
server (the DC I want to decommission) becomes unavailable. We do not store
any data at the root level.

The replication I mentioned in my plan is root replication not link
replication. The way I have it configured is that the DC (root host) is the
source (From Server) for all connections (To Server) for the namespace in the
customized topology.

Let me know if more details about our configuration would be helpful. So I
guess back to the basic question, how do move the "hosting" of the Dfs root
from my DC to another server.

Thank you very much for your input...
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-08-17 14:55:41 UTC
Sorry about the confusion! Yes, you're right that multiple root targets is
what makes a namespace redundant. When you add a root target, the DFS
service creates the namespace hierarchy on the new root target server. This
hierarchy is necessary for the operation of DFS and has nothing to do with
the target data accessed throughout the namespace. It's a common (and
unfortunate) misperception that you have to enable FRS replication on the
root targets to ensure redundancy of the namespace. This is unnecessary, and
there is no need to do this unless you're storing data in the root, which
you are not.

So back to the original question--the answer is still the same: Add a new
server to the namespace as a root target, and then decomission the old
server by removing it from the namespace.

Gary