DFS replication service not starting
aj_26
2006-05-01 20:03:02 UTC
Has anyone ever experienced the DFS replication service not starting upon
reboot?
chriss3 [MVP]
2006-05-02 00:27:25 UTC
No. Have a look in the Event Viewer and see if you can find any information
about way the service doesn't start automatically as supposed, there can be
a numbers of reasons.
--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Resources
reboot?
Robert A Post, Jr (MSFT)
2006-05-02 20:34:18 UTC
Check that the service is set to automatic in services.msc. If it is,
check the System event log to see what the Service Control Manager (SCM)
has to say about it. You may even be able to inspect the dfsr logs
(depending on how far it gets in starting the service if it fails.) They
are defaulted to c:\windows\debug\DFSR*.log

Thanks,

Robert A Post, Jr [MSFT]
Distributed File System Replication Test
aj_26
2006-05-02 23:16:02 UTC
Here are the entries that I receive in the System Event Log. There was also
a DFSR log file in C:\WINDOWS\Debug directory.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7009
Date: 5/2/2006
Time: 2:04:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CDFP1LP
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the DFS Replication service to
connect.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 5/2/2006
Time: 2:04:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CDFP1LP
The DFS Replication service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.

reboot?
Ned Pyle (MSFT)
2006-05-02 23:57:01 UTC
Hi,

We have seen this a couple times now, and are still investigating causes -
typically it's been ill behaved anti-virus apps. You have a couple
workarounds you can try:

1. Temporarily disable AV services on this machine and restart - does DFSR
start?
2. Use KB839803 to increase the service control managers ServicesPipeTimeout
so that DFSR waits longer than 30 seconds to start before failing (start by
making it 60000, which is 60 seconds, then try 120000)

If you open a case with us, let me know (***@microsoft.com)
and I will get your engineer a test tool we have right now that we're having
customers run to see where the problem is case by case.

Ned
reboot?
Robert A Post, Jr (MSFT)
2006-05-03 01:59:53 UTC
is this a x64 machine?

aj_26
2006-05-03 16:21:04 UTC
No the server is 32-bit

However, I do have an update regarding the DFSR service not starting. Upon
reviewing the System Event Log closer I noticed that we were having issues
with the iSCSI SAN that we have attached to this server. Connections were
frequently being dropped to the target host. The directories that are
replicated to other servers actually reside on the SAN volume. It almost
appears as though there might be a mechanism in the DFSR service which
automatically stops the service if conditions on the server are not optimal
for replication. I know that when reviewing DFS replication reports there
are warnings that state replication will stop if a certain volume reaches
capacity. When replication stops, does that imply that the DFSR service will
stop as well?

So to address the SAN issue I updated PowerPath 4.5 with hotfix 1 and
updated the drivers that we were using for the 3com NIC ISCSI connection and
rebooted the server. When the server came back online, DFSR services were
able to start without incident. The error messages regarding the SAN were as
follows:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: iScsiPrt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20
Date: 5/2/2006
Time: 12:06:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CDFP1LP
Connection to the target was lost. The initiator will attempt to retry the
connection.

Data:
0000: 00 00 50 00 01 00 aa 00 ..P...ª.
0008: 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 69 00 71 00 6e 00 2e 00 i.q.n...
0030: 31 00 39 00 39 00 32 00 1.9.9.2.
0038: 2d 00 30 00 34 00 2e 00 -.0.4...
0040: 63 00 6f 00 6d 00 2e 00 c.o.m...
0048: 65 00 6d 00 63 00 3a 00 e.m.c.:.
0050: 61 00 78 00 2e 00 66 00 a.x...f.
0058: 63 00 6e 00 70 00 72 00 c.n.p.r.
0060: 30 00 35 00 33 00 31 00 0.5.3.1.
0068: 30 00 30 00 30 00 38 00 0.0.0.8.
0070: 30 00 2e 00 61 00 30 00 0...a.0.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EmcpBase
Event Category: None
Event ID: 100
Date: 5/2/2006
Time: 12:06:57 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CDFP1LP
Path Bus 5 Tgt 0 Lun 0 to FCNPR053100080 is dead.
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 03 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 00 00 00 00 64 00 08 c0 ....d..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 02 00 00 00 ....
Robert A Post, Jr (MSFT)
2006-05-03 21:59:17 UTC
If you have a replicated folder setup on a device that has connectivity
issues this is the problem. If the device is not connected during service
start I'm fairly sure the service won't start within the SCM 30 second
timeout period. Once the service is started, if you lose connectivity to
the device, DFSR initiate a dirty shutdown recovery the next time it has
access to the device. This consists of verifying the DFSR database with
the replicated folder. Needless to say if you're continually verifying the
database against the FS you will have perf issues.
"When replication stops, does that imply that the DFSR service will stop
as well?"
not sure what you mean by this, but if a condition arises that hinders
further replication (such as Sharing violation, disk full, ...) the service
will *not* stop, it will periodically retry to sync backing off every now
and then. In other words the service should always be running.