File Replication of servers
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-21 05:30:11 UTC
I have a Windows 2003 Server at our main location and I'm wanting to
install a server in an office in another town to be a backup server. I
am wanting to copy all the files from our main location to the backup
site every night.

I'm a little confused about the distributed file system - file
replication service. Will this do what I want, or am I wrong. If so,
is there software that will do this for me?

Thanks for your response!!!

Scott
Jabez Gan [MVP]
2006-01-21 07:24:25 UTC
Hi Scott,

If you are running Windows Server 2003 R2, you can use the Distributed File
System - Replication to have your data replicated.

There's a lot of information available regarding this, and here are some
helpful links:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/R2/branchoffice/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/R2/branchoffice/r2branchofficefaq.mspx
--
Jabez Gan [MVP]
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server
Scott
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-21 15:26:29 UTC
Thanb Jabez for responding. So there isn't any capability built into
the Windows Server 2003 SP1 to do this? In order to do this, I would
need R2 or find a software solution from another company, right?

Scott
Jabez Gan [MVP]
2006-01-21 17:45:21 UTC
Natively of 2003 SP1, there's FRS, but since you want to replicate to
another server in another town, R2's DFS-R offers better compression thus
saving bandwidth and time on backing it up on another far away server.
Scott
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-22 00:01:15 UTC
It doesn't appear that R2 is released yet, am I correct? If so, when
will it be released?

Also, the server that I am going to replicate is around 50 GB of data.
The data will be replicated in the evenings over a 10MB fiber line
(both up and back). Will this cause a real bandwidth problem on the
network (we are closed in the evenings) using 2003 SP1?

Can you direct me to some information on setting up file replication?

Thanks!!!!
Jabez Gan [MVP]
2006-01-22 03:58:47 UTC
R2 was RTMed (released to manufacturers) on Dec 6, 05. However you will need
to wait till end of Jan or Feb to see R2 in retail boxes.

If nobody is using the 10MB fiber line, then that should be fine.

For setting up DFS-Replication (R2), see:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/f/?en/Library/5bc623fa-2063-4eb7-ad24-8ffa160a4e211033.mspx
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/f/?en/Library/52516795-986b-48a3-a4a3-1c06277d92fb1033.mspx

Overview of FRS (Win2k3)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/965a9e1a-8223-4d3e-8e5d-39aeb70ec5d9.mspx

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks!!!!
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-22 06:21:58 UTC
One more dumb question. :)

If I use FRS in (Win2k3) or DFS-Replication (R2), and the main server
goes down, we will be able to point our users to log into our server
where the data is being replicated and continue to work as if nothing
is wrong, correct? The only thing I would need to do is change the
path file for programs, etc.

Am I thinking correctly? Sorry for all these questions, I've never
done anything like this before.

Thanks,

Scott
chriss3 [MVP]
2006-01-22 16:07:03 UTC
DFS is fault tolerant so it will automatically redirect your users to an
other server that hosts the same DFS namespace with the content. It's
actually transparent to your end-users.

Lets say we have two replicated servers fileserver01 and fileserver02.
fileserver01 goes down, and your users are connected to
\\fileserver01\users. It will still response from \\fileserver01\users, but
in fact its the fileserver02 that serves the users request. but that is
transparent to them.
--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Resources
Scott
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-22 18:36:40 UTC
I think I'm finally getting it. I was just going to do one server, but
I think I will also do another server also.

Here is my scenario:

-I have 2 servers at the main site (Server01 and Server 02). I am
going to have 2 servers offsite (Server03 and Server 04).
-Server01 will replicate to Server03 (Server01 is nothing more than a
file server - which also has some applications on it).
-Server02 will replicate to Server04 (I work for a bank and we
currently image all our checks that we process and the data and images
of the checks are stored on Server02. It runs on a Progress database).

Question I have:
- Do I just need to set up 1 DFS Root (I hope I'm using the right
terms)?

- How will having a database installed on Server02 affect the
fault-tolerance? My plan is to have the Progress database installed on

Server04.

- The programs to access the database and the check images sits on
Server02, so if Server02 goes down, will DFS re-direct the
request to Server04 automatically?

- Would you recommend waiting til R2 is released before implementing
DFS?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Scott
chriss3 [MVP]
2006-01-29 21:52:32 UTC
Yes you only need one DFS Root.
Make sure that you see the difference between DFS and Clusters. DFS only
hosts a replica of an USN namespace and provide fault tolerance by
automatically redirect the target to an available replica.

DFS in Pre-Windows Server 2003 R2 Scenarios supports replication between
targets. (servers hosting a root or link) by using FRS. File Replication
Service.

In Windows Server 2003 R2 and later DFS support replication by using DFS-R
(DFS Replication) DFS-R have many advantages over FRS so I recommend you to
go for Windows Server 2003 R2 directly.