Moving a DFS Share
Joe U.
2009-04-07 14:52:01 UTC
Hello All,

I am new to DFS so I am trying to get my arms around how to do this. I am
working in a new environment where the person before me had set-up 3 DFS
shares to 3 separate volumes. The space available is filling up fast so I
need to move the 3 shares to larger volumes, but these shares are available
to the entire company. Here is how I understand the move so far.

1. Copy contents to new directory. I am using robocopy to do this.
2. Break the shares.
3. Recreate the shares in the new directory.
4. Double-check permissions?

Is this how I would do it? Is there a better way?

Thanks for the help.

Joe
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-04-07 16:52:24 UTC
How isdfs setup? Standalone or Domain based? If you are using domain based,
create similar shares with same permissions on new directory, and setup
replication to replicate folders/files to new directory.
--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Joe
DaveMills
2009-04-07 19:08:39 UTC
It will depend upon how this has been set up. The two main configurations are

a) DFSRoot has folders that link to ordinary UNC shares on the same or other
server. You access as \\ad\dfsroot\folder which redirects to \\server\share
b) DFSRoot has folder and the data is copied into the folder.

In case a) do exactly as you state, copy the data then change the link to point
to the new unc share. In case b) you will need to remove the DRF replica and
then when replication has finished recreate the DFS replica on a differ ant
location. I have never tried case b)
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Joe U.
2009-04-08 15:07:02 UTC
Thanks for the reply. I am guessing from your response that we are actually
doing option A. There are three folders that are being shared through-out
our domain (no replication) and the path that users see is just mapped as a
folder share on all of their machines.

A couple more questions that I have.

A. I used robocopy to copy the files to the new directory. I would now like
to perform a differential move of just the updated files. Does anyone know
how the command for robocopy works for this?

B. I want to make sure that I am going through the proper steps to set this
up. To break the shares, do I just go into Admin Tools --> DFS. Then I
would list the root shares and on the right it would show the target. Do I
just remove the old target location and then add the new target location?

Thanks for your help.

Joe
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-04-08 16:18:28 UTC
Hello Joe,

See inline for response:

Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Post by Joe U.
Thanks for the reply. I am guessing from your response that we are actually
doing option A. There are three folders that are being shared through-out
our domain (no replication) and the path that users see is just mapped as a
folder share on all of their machines.
A couple more questions that I have.
A. I used robocopy to copy the files to the new directory. I would now like
to perform a differential move of just the updated files. Does anyone know
how the command for robocopy works for this?
Use /A option for Differential backup and
/M option for Incremental Backup
Post by Joe U.
B. I want to make sure that I am going through the proper steps to set this
up. To break the shares, do I just go into Admin Tools --> DFS. Then I
would list the root shares and on the right it would show the target. Do I
just remove the old target location and then add the new target location?
You need to add new targets first then remove old targets
Post by Joe U.
Thanks for your help.
Joe
Post by DaveMills
It will depend upon how this has been set up. The two main configurations are
a) DFSRoot has folders that link to ordinary UNC shares on the same or other
server. You access as \\ad\dfsroot\folder which redirects to
\\server\share
b) DFSRoot has folder and the data is copied into the folder.
In case a) do exactly as you state, copy the data then change the link to point
to the new unc share. In case b) you will need to remove the DRF replica and
then when replication has finished recreate the DFS replica on a differ ant
location. I have never tried case b)
Joe U.
2009-04-08 16:36:01 UTC
Is there a way for me to tell where the original target is pointing it?
Right now it just shows how the share is listed. "\\domain.com\storage1" and
if I click on that, it opens the share, but I want to trace it back to the
physical drive and folder shared.

Joe
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-04-08 17:01:43 UTC
Joe U,

You can export your entire dfs structure into an xml file and use notepad to
open it and you will see all path for each share etc

--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Joe
Joe U.
2009-04-08 18:58:03 UTC
Ok, getting closer to answering this now. So I ran the command that Isaac
posted and here is some of what I got back.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<Root Name="\\domain.com\sharedfs" State="1" Timeout="300" >
<Target Server="server.domain.com" Folder="sharedfs" State="2" />

<Link Name="journlsm-271" State="1" Timeout="300" >
<Target Server="server.domain.com" Folder="journlsm-271" State="2" />
</Link>

<Link Name="geogrpy-450" State="1" Timeout="1800" >
<Target Server="server.domain.com" Folder="geogrpy-450" State="2" />
</Link>

<Link Name="psych-498" State="1" Timeout="300" >
<Target Server="server.domain.com" Folder="psych-498" State="2" />
</Link>

This is just the top 4 lines from one of my root shares. It appears that
the contents of these shares span a few different drives which I am copying
the contents of via robocopy. I won't have to move the link for every single
share individually, will I?

Joe
Joe
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-04-08 20:26:49 UTC
If you change location of a share/link/target etc, then you will have re
link it to new location, if not, then clients will still be refering to old
location. Example, if you move share: "journlsm-271" from server.domain.com
to say server2.domain.com, then you will have to change link location to
server2 etc..The easiest way you can do this is, after all copy is done and
new locations are set, you can edit the export file with new locations and
then import to dfs using the import command: Please BACKUP dfs structure if
you choose to use import command below.
--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Post by Joe U.
[...]
dfsutil /root:\\<domain name>\<dfs root name> /export:<domain
name>.XML.DFS
--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Joe
Joe U.
2009-04-08 20:42:01 UTC
Isaac,

So if I am not changing from servername.domain.com and instead I am changing
the location from E:\ to G:\ then I would not have to go through this process?

Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-04-08 21:28:50 UTC
Joe,

That is correct, as long as you are share name is the same and in the same
server. Link will remain same..I presume you are just going to delete or
rename old shares? You can test the first one if you want..
--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Post by Joe U.
Isaac,
So if I am not changing from servername.domain.com and instead I am changing
the location from E:\ to G:\ then I would not have to go through this process?
Joe
Post by Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
If you change location of a share/link/target etc, then you will have re
link it to new location, if not, then clients will still be refering to old
location. Example, if you move share: "journlsm-271" from
server.domain.com
to say server2.domain.com, then you will have to change link location to
server2 etc..The easiest way you can do this is, after all copy is done and
new locations are set, you can edit the export file with new locations and
then import to dfs using the import command: Please BACKUP dfs structure if
you choose to use import command below.
dfsutil /root:\\<domain name>\<dfs root name> /import:<domain
name>.XML.DFS
Joe U.
2009-04-09 15:27:03 UTC
Isaac,

Thank you so much for all of your help! So I can leave the root alone since
I am staying on the same server, I got that part. So then I assume I just
stop the underlying shares that are set-up on say Drive A and once copied to
drive B, set-up the new share with the proper permissions and away I go?
This will re-add all of the proper links to it as well?

Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-04-09 18:11:07 UTC
Joe,
Yes, that should be good to go. So long as the share names are the same,
then no need to change link
--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]