File Replication problems on two Windows 2003 sp1 serves (Web Servers)
JshannonB
2006-03-13 19:28:04 UTC
I have 2 Windows 2003 sp1 Servers, Server1 and Server2; they are being
used as web servers. The servers are at a Data Center 250 Miles away.
We have file replication enabled between the 2 servers. We are
replicating folders that contain pictures in them. There is a total of
319 Folders with total number of files at around 900,000 files totaling
close to 12 Gb. Has anyone ever heard or tried to replicate this many
files and folders?

Server 1 has 854,958 files in 326 Folders at 11.3GB

Server 2 has 311,671 files in 116 Folders at 3.04GB

Server 1 has close to all the files we want to replicate (I would say
98%) I think there are some on Server2 that have not replicated to
Server1

Server 2 right now is rebuilding the files. It usually has around 243
folders

On Server 2 we deleted the Jet DB and let it rebuild starting last week
on the 3/7/06. The Jet DB is still being updated as of 3/13/06 and now
is over 1 GB

Server 1 Jet DB is 1,362,120 Kb and has not changed size since 3/7/06

I read somewhere that I should be able to ping the computers GUID. Can
someone tell me how this is done? Also how can you find out the GUID of
a computer? I looked in the logs of FRS and I saw 2 GUID that I thought
was the servers but I have no way of knowing for sure nor do I know if
I pinged them correctly.

I have seen a lot of event messages that mention DNS this is why I am
interesting in pinging the GUID.

Also, Is there a proper way to restart replication on both servers? All
I know to do is restart the FRS services on both servers.

Errors in the event log:

13552
13544
13555
13504
13559
13568
13506
13505

Warnings in the event log:

13508
13520
13522
13509
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-03-14 19:22:31 UTC
Hi, I recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting tools up on
www.microsoft.com/frs. Ultrasound, Sonar, and FRSDiag can all help you
troubleshoot FRS problems, though Ultrasound is more of a long-term
monitoring tool so you might want to start with Sonar and FRSDiag until you
have fixed the issue. The issues you are having sound complex, though, given
the number of events you are seeing. If this is urgent, or if the problem
persists, I recommend opening a support case.

Also, take a look at our KB "Configuration and operational recommendations
for the File Replication service in Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000
Server" on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840675/en-us. It looks like your
deployment is below our recommended limits:

Content and data limits
. A maximum file size of 20 gigabytes (GB).
. A maximum of 64 GB of data.
. A maximum of 500,000 files under the replica root.
. A maximum of 1,000,000 simultaneous change orders.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
13509
JshannonB
2006-03-21 06:47:52 UTC
Thank you very much for your reply. I am going to get on this first
thing tomorrow. Sorry for the delay
JshannonB
2006-03-21 14:16:04 UTC
Anyone know how to fix this one besides opening the firewall? certain
ports are open. What ports does RPC run on? Is it possible to force
what ports it runs on.

C:\>ntfrsutl version adserver1.domain.net
NtFrsApi Version Information
NtFrsApi Major : 0
NtFrsApi Minor : 0
NtFrsApi Compiled on: Mar 24 2005 15:06:29
ERROR - Cannot bind w/authentication to computer,adserver1.domain.net;
000006ba (1722)
ERROR - Cannot RPC to computer, adserver1.domain.net; 000006d9 (1753)
From command prompt on one of the webservers we are having problems
replicating.
JshannonB
2006-03-21 14:51:16 UTC
I just noticed that you said the file limit was 500,000. We are trying
to replicate 800,000 + files. Is this going to be an issue?
Richard Chinn [MSFT]
2006-03-21 20:21:12 UTC
The 500,000 file and folder limit is the limit that was tested, and we
have reported. FRS tends to be sensitive to both the number of files
and the number of folders, so if you have 800,000 files that I assume
are part of a web server (judging from your subject), I suspect you
have several folders as well that are not included in the 800,000
number. That would mean you are going beyond the tested limit.

While things shouldn't break when crossing to 500,001 files and
folders, we have seen issues that would make recovery difficult. If
you do set up FRS to replicate a large number of files and folders, I
recommend that you thoroughly test your backup / restore and disaster
recover scenarios in a lab environment to ensure FRS will come back
after a restore. You should also use Ultrasound for monitoring.

Also, using FRS for replicating web server files may not work well for
your scenario, but it depends. You should keep in mind some things.

1) Replication is not instantaneous. Generally it is very fast, but
it can become backlogged, especially if there is a large number of
changes to be processed. There may be periods of time when your web
servers are out of sync.

2) FRS will only replicate files (copy them in and copy them out) when
the file is closed. If any application holds an exclusive lock to a
file, then that file will not replicate. For example, if your web
server service holds files open, then updated versions of that file
can't be replicated in until the file handle is closed. Again, your
web servers can get out of sync until the exclusive file locks are
released.

Note we have a new replication engine in Windows Server 2003 R2 called
DFS Replication. While it is a more robust replication engine than
FRS (I recommend using DFS Replication over FRS), you will still be
subject to the two items I mentioned above.

--Richard

Please post FRS related questions to
microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs and prefix the subject line
with "FRS:" to make it easier to spot. Note that FRS is used to
replicate SYSVOL on domain controllers and DFS root and link targets.

For additional FRS resources, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/frs.

rights.
JshannonB
2006-03-24 17:55:32 UTC
We are going to try again this weekend. We did call MS and opened a
ticket about week and half ago...we are still in contact with a rep.