Accessing the DFS Namespace
Nordic
2006-11-16 23:50:13 UTC
Hello:

I have several DFS folders that are mapped to lettered drives via a startup
script. For most users, this is fine. However, some people are using other,
unmapped areas of the namespace and want to browse to it. I think this list has
well established that browsing perse is not an intended function of DFS.

That said, how do admins using DFS advise their end-users to access the DFS
namespace? Does everyone just get to it from the run line? (That's how I do it,
but it is not intuitive for most users.)

Any thoughts welcome.
Dave Mills
2006-11-17 05:55:32 UTC
I agree with you. If you browse one of the DFS servers it will list the DFS root
but it would be nice to always see the dfs root listed under \\domain. I have
thought about creating a Shortcut to \\domain\root in the quick links using a
script but not tried implementing it yet.
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Nordic
2006-11-17 16:42:16 UTC
Agreed. One of the key features of DFS is to get people off of the specific
file servers.

What do you mean by "quick links"? I can see several places where that migh be
useful including the "Quick Launch" toolbar, the left-hand side of the Save
As... or Open... dialog boxes (can one even do that?), or forcing something
into the My Network Places.
Dave Mills

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-11-27 17:43:00 UTC
This functionality (typing \\domain and seeing a list of all roots) is being
considered for a future client release. It's a popular request and also a
common area of misunderstanding because it actually works if you host your
root on each DC in the domain.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
Dave Mills
2006-11-27 21:02:11 UTC
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:43:00 -0800, "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]"
Post by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
This functionality (typing \\domain and seeing a list of all roots) is being
considered for a future client release. It's a popular request and also a
common area of misunderstanding because it actually works if you host your
root on each DC in the domain.
That would be real nice. Especially if all the other shares that the DC publish
to the browsers but don't work are removed/hidden. I see most shares on the PDC
under \\domain but cannot follow them (the login server is not the PDC)