DFS visibility on the network?
mikes1p
2008-04-17 16:46:01 UTC
How does DFS appear to clients? How can users view DFS?

I am considering moving from simple shares to DFS for our domain and am
curious what the users see on their client PC's and how they access DFS shares

Thanks
Mike S
DaveMills
2008-04-17 20:33:59 UTC
I suggest you set up a DFS namespace and add a few links then look for yourself.
It is much easier than trying to read about it and it is quite simple. Just do
not put data in the DFS folders on un the Shares that the DFS links point to.
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
mikes1p
2008-04-17 20:48:00 UTC
Actually I have setup DFS and it does not "appear" anywhere on it's own.
That's why I'm asking

I can type in the UNC path via Run or Explorer and then the domain based
namespace and shares that I created appears, I cannot see it if I merely
browse the Network Neighborhood. Also if I search AD for one of the shares in
DFS nothing is returned. I find this quite odd and am wondering if I missed
something in the setup or if that's the way it is

Mike S
DaveMills
2008-04-28 20:32:06 UTC
Sorry for late reply, been on vacation

Yes this is a design oversight in my opinion. DFS is a fault tolerant system but
you cannot brows the domain for the name spaces it has available. You need to
brows the actual DFS namespace server to see the namespace. When I first set up
DFS I though whoopee I can have my namespace hosted as \\domain\namespace but
later found that it is not published to the browse service, unlike sysvol which
I do not want user to follow anyway. It seems the published bits are the one I
do not want and the unpublished one it the one I want to advertise.

There has been comment on this before and if enough ask for this there is a
chance MS will add this.

DevilsPGD
2008-04-29 07:02:07 UTC
Post by DaveMills
Yes this is a design oversight in my opinion. DFS is a fault tolerant system but
you cannot brows the domain for the name spaces it has available. You need to
brows the actual DFS namespace server to see the namespace. When I first set up
DFS I though whoopee I can have my namespace hosted as \\domain\namespace but
later found that it is not published to the browse service, unlike sysvol which
I do not want user to follow anyway. It seems the published bits are the one I
do not want and the unpublished one it the one I want to advertise.
As a workaround, if your domain controllers also host the DFS, you can
get away with \\domain\namespace references.

This isn't exactly top of the list on best practices, but it's not too
scary since no actual content resides on the DCs, and the DCs already
need to serve the sysvol share.
mikes1p
2008-04-30 16:20:00 UTC
I like DFS from an Admin perspective and what it allows for remote offices.
But I think it's half baked for end users, obviously design choices made by
MS, but I am very disappointed with DFS for the users. How often do users
browse for stuff? All the time...but you can't browse DFS, you have to
remember the UNC or have a drive mapped

To assume users are savvy and 'remember' complicated UNC path names is
absurd. The AD search has a lousy UI and is too complicated for basic end
users and the DFS shares are not found in the AD search without extra admin
setup. Mapping drive letters is the only way to browse DFS, weren't we
getting away from "drive letters" over the past few years. Now I have to tell
end users to go back to the M: drive

I'm having other admin issues that are on other posts that make me want to
toss the whole DFS thing out the window

Mike S
dofdof
2008-04-19 10:15:03 UTC
Hi,
first:
you create your DFS root on yours DCs
eg: on your DC 2nd drive
E:\DFSroot
\Paris-Accounts
\Chicago-Accounts

if your domain is "intra.mydomain.com" with netbios name "MYDOMAIN"

the users can see for access

\\intra.mydomain.com\Paris-Accounts or \\MYDOMAIN\Paris-Accounts

you can use in the logon user's scripts command like NET USE X:
\\intra.mydomain.com\Paris-Accounts

or NET USE X: \\MYDOMAIN\Paris-Accounts

share1 and share2 are links to your real path to your data servers

eg: server name SRV-PARIS with a share name "Accounts"

on your DFS root, The share named Share1 point to \\SRV-PARIS\Accounts

for my work use i'm tranferring all the real share link to DFS shares ,
because is more easy to manipulate !

bye, i hope I'm clear, sorry for my english