Initial transfer of existing content - agreed method?
CH
2007-11-02 03:41:00 UTC
Hi all,

Is there a definitive answer to how to "pre-stage" or "initially-replicate"
existing content in a DFS system across to a new Replication Group partner?

For example, say I have 100GB of existing content in DFS (on sites S1 and
S2) and want to add a new site S3 to the Rep Group. How should I initially
get the data to S3? I have experienced problem with this before (& read of
others as well), where only new adds/deletions get replicated, but the
existing content doesn't go across.

Do I:
1. Copy it off the DFS server at S1 onto a portable drive and load it onto
the server at S3 PRIOR to adding S3 into the RG, and then setup the RG? Will
it then all get shoved into a PRE_EXISTING folder, ie a waste of effort?
2. Copy it to a NTBackup tape at S1 and restore it to site S3? Is this done
before or after adding site S3 to the RG? I have tried to pre-stage using
Backup before with admittedly low success.
3. Do nothing, just create the extended Rep Group and wait for the content
to magically move to S3?

If possible I would really prefer to pre-stage (or init-rep) off-WAN, ie
using tape or disk, for obvious WAN performance reasons.

Many thanks to anyone with recommendations.
Cameron
Jeffrey Randow
2007-11-03 01:41:01 UTC
The last time, I did the following:

robocopy \\server1\share \\server2\share /copyall /zb /s

Whenever I have to redo inital replication, I do this and I will get
initial replication to complete in a matter of hours versus the days
with a straight copy...

---
Jeffrey Randow
***@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net
Cameron
CH
2007-11-03 04:06:00 UTC
Thank you Jeffrey for your response.

Do I do this after adding-in the new site as a RG member, and with
replication between sites *enabled* during the copy process? Also, would I
be able to robocopy to a intermediate (portable) drive, ship it to the remote
site and then robocopy off it & still get the same effect?
Cameron
Cameron
Jeffrey Randow
2007-11-04 02:00:51 UTC
I do it before letting initial replication occur. DFSR seemingly
starts in reverse order (from what I have seen), so I want the
robocopy job finished first.

---
Cameron
Jeff
2007-11-06 14:53:01 UTC
The only way I have been able to make this work successfully is to just sweat
out the wait of replication, or if there is enough data bring the remote
server to local LAN and stage before shipping out to new location. I do this
for hot-sites as disaster recovery. Wish I could be of more help.
Cameron
CH
2007-11-07 06:52:01 UTC
Thanks Jeff, any input to this problem is going to be a big help to me.

What technique do you use to stage the remote server when it's back at the
home LAN? Xcopy/tape restore/etc or just wait for the (faster)
re-replication to do it's thing.

Cam.