FRS Error
Jem
2005-08-05 16:45:42 UTC
Hi

I'm running Windows 2000 Server SP3 (Single Server)
When the Server re-booted, I have an error in the Event Log with the
following message below. I appreciate there has been similar post regarding
FRS errors, but I'm reluctant to try what the event suggests on recovery
("Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore") because I read in article 292438
advises against doing so, or at least until I can get some sound advice from
you guys. I have had it suggested by a colleague that increasing the size of
the "ntfrs journal size MB" would do it.

Please advise as to the best approach.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13568
Date: 8/05/2005
Time: 12:08:14 PM
User: N/A
Computer: IRSNE
The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN
SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

Replica set name is : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"
Replica root path is : "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain"
Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:"
A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to
read from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because of one
of the following reasons.

[1] Volume "\\.\C:" has been formatted.
[2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been deleted.
[3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been truncated. Chkdsk can
truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal.
[4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long
time.
[5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO
activity on "\\.\C:".
Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1
will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover
from this error state.
[1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be
deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5 minutes, then run
"net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File
Replication Service.
[2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to
the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the
replica set.

WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be
unavailable. You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to
prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly unavailable if
this error condition occurs again.

To change this registry parameter, run regedit.

Click on Start, Run and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Click down the key path:
"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters"
Double click on the value name
"Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
and update the value.

If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD Value
function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly as shown
above.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-08-08 22:16:55 UTC
Increasing the size of the USN journal won't fix the journal wrap; it will
just decrease the chances that your USN journal will be too small in the
future. It is a best practice to size the USN journal according to the
amount of replicated files and disk activity on the server. (See below for
specific recommendations.)

You are correct in that we don't advise the auto-journal wrap recovery
option, because this can happen at inopportune times. You'll want to perform
your D2 procedure--the only way to recover from journal wrap--at a time that
makes most sense for your organization. The procedures you need should be in
292438.

Here is a topic from the Ultrasound help file on sizing the USN journal.

When sizing the USN journal, use 128 MB for every 100,000 files on the
volume. If files on the volume are changed or renamed frequently (regardless
of whether they are part of the replica set), consider sizing the USN
journal larger than these recommendations to prevent USN journal wraps,
which can occur when large numbers of files change so quickly that the USN
journal must discard the oldest changes (before FRS has a chance to detect
the changes) to stay within the specified size limit. To recover from a
journal wrap, you must perform a nonauthoritative restore (also called a D2)
on the server to synchronize its files with the files on the other replica
members.

When determining the USN journal size, also consider the following:

a.. Multiple replica trees can exist on the same NTFS volume. Therefore,
choose a USN journal size based on the total number of files managed by FRS
on that volume.
b.. Other files might also be stored on the same NTFS volume, and file
operations on these files are tracked in the USN journal, even though FRS
ignores these changes. As a general guideline, add an extra 8 MB per 100,000
files in this case, though this is an approximate number that depends on how
much activity occurs on those files.
c.. For best results, put replica trees on their own NTFS volume (or
volumes) so that other file activity does not affect the USN journal on the
volumes storing replica trees.
Use the following procedure to adjust the USN journal size. Note that the
USN journal size applies to all volumes on the server.

To change the USN journal size

1.. In the Run dialog box, type regedit.exe, and click OK.
2.. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters
3.. Right-click the Parameters subkey and choose New -> DWORD Value.
4.. Type NTFS journal size in MB as the new value name and press Enter.
5.. Right click NTFS journal size in MB and click Modify.
6.. Click Decimal, and then in the Value data field, type the size in
megabytes that you would like to make the NTFS journal.
7.. Click OK, and then close the Registry Editor.
8.. At the command prompt, type net stop ntfrs & net start ntfrs.
above.
Jem
2005-08-09 08:17:01 UTC
Thank you Jill for taking the time to reply.

Could I please just clarify something, you mention that you don't advise
using auto-journal wrap recovery, but 292438 refers to doing just that. Is it
a case I set the auto-journal wrap recovery to perform a restore (by changing
the registry to 1), then use the commands "net stop ntfrs & net start ntfrs"
to force the restore? Once completed, then changing the registry back to 0.

I like to be clear in my mind what I'm doing before attempting the procedure.

Thanks for your time.
above.
Jem
2005-08-09 08:43:05 UTC
Is it article 290762 'Using the Burflags registry key' that I require?
In this article it gives reference to a D2 (that you mention) otherwise
known as a nonauthoritative mode restore.

Do I require a back-up tape of good data to perform the above? If I do, this
will be a problem as the problem goes back further than the last good Back-up
before this issue.

Please advise.
above.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-08-09 17:47:56 UTC
You're right--I had pasted in the wrong KB. Sorry about that! I thought I'd
been careful to look up the right number but somehow still managed to paste
in the other KB number.

You do want 290762. You don't need a backup to perform a D2. During this
process, the data on the journal-wrapped member will be moved to the
"Pre-exisiting" folder under the replica set root, and the replica tree will
be replicated down from another member.
above.
Jem
2005-08-10 07:49:02 UTC
No need to apologise.

You mention that the replica tree will be replicated down from another
member. This is a standalone Server and has no access to any other Server.
Will this procedure still work?

Many thanks,
Jem
above.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-08-10 16:19:52 UTC
OK, it looks like you have a single DC that isn't replicating with any other
servers. I need to check what the procedure is in this situation.
Replication isn't technically broken since the server has no replication
partners, but if you add a second DC at some point, I'm not sure what will
happen.

Let me get back to you.
above.
Jem
2005-08-10 16:29:12 UTC
Yes that is correct, I have just the one DC with no replication between any
other server.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
above.
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2005-08-10 16:32:10 UTC
OK, I just got confirmation that you'll want to use the D4 procedure, not
the D2. Because this is a single server, you'll want its content to be
marked authoritative. Please let me know if you have questions.
above.
Jem
above.
Jem
2005-08-15 10:55:03 UTC
Hi Jill

I tried the D4 procedure as suggested following the procedure as per 290762.
When I restarted ntfrs it all looked promising, but after approx 1 minute the
same error came up again. Have you got any ideas/suggestions as what to do
next?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None