DFS Replicating replicated folders.
scottbcs
2010-04-15 19:31:01 UTC
Hello,
I have a site that has been using DFS since Server 2003 R2 was
released. We have one namespace with two folders. We are opening a new site
and we need to link a subfolder of one of the existing folders to one of the
new servers at the new site. When you create the folder in the namespace and
try to create a replication set it gives an error about already being
replicated under another folder.

When I first came upon this problem I thought about simply separating the
subfolder into its own folder under the namespace however this creates some
serious problems. The folder contains CAD drawings that are linked to files
within the same folder that are mapped to the existing namespace\folder.
There are 10s of thousands of links that cannot simply be recreated.

Another option I thought of was to simply add the new server to the Target
list for the folder that contains the subfolder needed. However that would
increase the data that needs replicated from 60GB to well over 200GB and over
2 million files. Also Management does not want copies of sensitive files
contained outside the needed folder to be on the server outside the corporate
HQ.

Please advise if anyone knows/has a solution (or at least a workaround)

Thanks,

Scott
DaveMills
2010-04-18 23:16:52 UTC
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:31:01 -0700, scottbcs
Post by scottbcs
[...]
So "Management" want the folder replicated but do not want the linked files
replicated because they are stored in the same folder as other files that are
"sensitive". You have a dilemma and the only solution is either to replicate
all the folders with linked data or redesign the folder structure so that the
sensitive data is not stored with the linked files.
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.