Distributed File System
Paul Hansson
2009-10-26 15:02:01 UTC
Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help us?

We have two servers seperated by a 10MB WAN link. One server is Windows
Server 2003 R2 the other is Windows Server Standard 2003.

Within this combination, is it possible to implement a distributed file
system which is replicated between the two servers?

I understand that we would have to use the lowest common technologies to
achieve what we require, and that some of the features of R2 may not be
available, but is this scenario possible?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Danny Sanders
2009-10-26 15:51:13 UTC
Yes but it is strongly recommended that you use DFSR on 2 R2 servers. You
can update your second server to R2 by running setup2 from the second disk
of the R2 set.

hth
DDS
Paul
Dave Warren
2009-10-27 06:48:17 UTC
Post by Paul Hansson
We have two servers seperated by a 10MB WAN link. One server is Windows
Server 2003 R2 the other is Windows Server Standard 2003.
Within this combination, is it possible to implement a distributed file
system which is replicated between the two servers?
DFS is possible on any 2003 server other then Web editions, but
replication requires at least 2003 R2 (or any flavour of 2008)